Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Intermittent Freeze on Vista SP2

• Please log in to reply

219bill

219bill

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have an HP Pavillion Media Center PC, Prod # RX881AA, that has recently been freezing intermittently running flash videos and now even freezes opening applications like Excel. I have Norton Internet Security actively running and have checked for Malware using Spybot S/D. I do not get any error codes, only a complete lock of input devices. A reboot is always successful, but the problem continues and seems to be getting more frequent.

Attached is the Hijackthis log to further assist in troubleshooting.

Attached File  hijackthis 102811.log   9.28KB   140 downloads

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Hi 219bill
Possible causes include heat and a flaky video card or PSU, when was the last time the inside of the case was cleaned out of heat trapping dust.
Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

219bill

219bill

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Here it is. For some reason, I don't get any voltage readings. The case is pretty clean, but I'll open it up and do a little cleaning. The video card was added about a year ago to drive my large screen monitor and I cleaned it out the case at that time.

Attached File  ScreenShot011.bmp   836.07KB   227 downloads

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,766 posts
Temps look ok at the moment, what sort of use had the PC had and for how long prior to the reading?
Try HWMonitor after watching a flash video and post those readings please http://www.cpuid.com.../hwmonitor.html
If the problem persists after the cleaning try removing the add on card and reverting back to the MBs integrated video chip temporarily for testing purposes.