Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

TCPIP.SYS BSOD

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Please refer to the url that you provided in post #11, it still shows 5 items that need resolving, have you done this yet particularly the first 3 items, the error code you provided suggests a driver, hardware or OS issue unfortunately.

Advertisements

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Luckily for me I need to upgrade to windows7 to take advantage of my 8gb RAM eventually, so I am hoping its an OS issue that is resolved from upgrading. If I was a betting man, I would go for hardware issue, and I am not sure what sadly.

I have since taken care of all of the tweaks I could to improve performance. reducing system restore amounts, etc etc. I will be buying a new external hard drive shortly also so that will take care of the lack of backup storage.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Test your present Ram, try the Windows test first then the Memtest86+ if required;
Please download Windows Memory Diagnostic,Save it to somewhere you will remember.
PreparationAfter downloading the tool, run it and accept the EULA.You will be asked to either make a floppy disk or create a CD image.If you want to use a floppy disk, insert a floppy disk and hit the top button.If you want to use a CD then hit the bottom button and save the 'windiag.iso' to a place you can remember.Once you have saved the 'windiag.iso' you will have to burn it to disk, a good program to use is ISO Recorder.
Starting the DiagnosticsNow you should have the CD burnt or the floppy created. The next step will be to run the diagnostics.Insert your CD or floppy and reboot the computer. You should get prompted to boot from the CD or floppy.If you didn't get prompted to boot from CD or floppy you will have to change the Boot Order in the BIOS so that CD or floppy comes before the hard drive.
The ResultsOnce the Diagnostics start running, let it run for about 4 full passes. Preferably overnight.When the scan has done 4 full passes, or an overnight scan, look at the bottom of the screen.The bottom of the screen will indicate if any errors have been found.If errors have been found please check how many under the "results" part of the bottom table.You can then reboot your machine by pressing the 'X' key.Please report back with your findings.

Guide to using Memtest86+ http://www.geekstogo...sing-memtest86/

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I shall do that today as I am out all day.

If I were to use my XP CD to repair my installation, will it replace newer drivers and files with the older ones? Or is it semi intelligent and only replaces files that are either corrupt or need replacing?

Cheers again Phill

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Subliminal,

will it replace newer drivers and files with the older ones?

Sorry no it means that you will need to update older drivers.

And you are welcome Subliminal :)

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I ran memtest86 today for 5/6 passes and there were no errors, I am going to repair my XP installation tomorrow with the CD and see where that gets me.

So files/service packs etc that I have manually updated since the initial installation of XP, they will be replaced by older ones from the XP CD? Or is there a misunderstanding here.

cheers

Edited by Subliminal, 07 November 2011 - 04:15 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Your Ram appears good then which may point more to the OS or HDD,

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Thanks to Broni for the instructions :)

Any XP repair questions you may have are answered at this tutorial courtesy of Admin http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/

EDIT: For future referance google slipstreaming xp Sp 1, 2 or 3.

Edited by phillpower2, 08 November 2011 - 03:19 AM.

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I checked the HD with the tools linked above, and found no errors on any drive with any of the various testing types. OS or hardware now I am thinking.

Will try XP repair tomorrow and see how I get on.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thank you for the update, HDD passing testing is good news so lets hope a repair install resolves the issue, good luck.

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
XP repair DONE! Just getting SP3 again, and then will run PCpitstop to make sure it hasnt undone any of other tweaks, then I shall leave it again for a week or so and see if I have any improvement with the BSOD issue.

Its a shame, as I am goig to be upgrading to Win7 in the next few months anyway, as soon as my RAM arrives and my external HD is bought. I will back it all up and upgrade.

Edited by Subliminal, 09 November 2011 - 09:44 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Thanks for the update Subliminal and good luck.

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Upgraded to Windows 7. No problems at all so far, early days though.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
:) keep us posted though.

Subliminal

Subliminal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Still going strong, one minor thing though.

Under device manager it says I have a coprocessor that I havent installed a driver for. PCI bus 0 Device 1 Function 3. How would I go about finding out what this device/coprocessor is?

Cheers :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Try running PCPitstop again, post the url so we can have a look
http://www.pcpitstop.com/