Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Driver update / install

• Please log in to reply

pimpn

pimpn

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm trying to install an OBDII diagnostic cable on my laptop and although i have the software disks etc and my laptop recognizes the "new hardware" it (windows) does not recognize the driver files in there folder. it just sees the file as empty. it is obviously not recognizing the extension on the driver files or what ever but i'm not sure what to do to fix the situation. Thanx!

pimpn

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Check if the driver as not an auto install program, you may need to run this program to install the driver instead of using the found new harware option.

Edited by Alzeimer, 29 October 2011 - 07:39 AM.

pimpn

pimpn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
unfortunately not. the driver files are showing up in the file folder as "system files" with a generic icon and the only other files in there are dll files and a couple of others (they can be found at www ftdichip com). screen shot of disk content attached.

screen shot.JPG

Edited by pimpn, 29 October 2011 - 10:40 AM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Maybe this website might help you in installing your drivers.

Hope it helps

http://www.obd2be.co...user-manual.pdf

pimpn

pimpn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thank-you but that is exactly where it fails. Windows can not find the drivers in the folder. If you look at the screen shot above it has the drivers in the folder clearly. when i go through the hardware installation windows recognizes the new hardware and asks my about the driver install. I get the brows file tree but the driver folder on the disk appears empty (and it's not). i have tried going to the manufacturers website and downloading the drivers directly from them but again, windows does not recognize the files in the folder. again the files are showing as system files and appear to have some generic icon; is this normal?

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Unless I am wrong the drivers list you showed in your image seems to apply to the serial port drivers option and not for the usb option. Maybe this is why when you connect you new device to your usb port and it searches for the appropriate drivers it does not recognize those ones since they are for the option of your device being connected to a serial port.

Edited by Alzeimer, 29 October 2011 - 02:11 PM.

pimpn

pimpn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
great idea but unfortunately not the answer. I have two similar disk, one came with a serial cable and the other with a usb cable. I have tried both sets of drivers and both cable options and none have worked. is there a way to manually install a driver? is there a folder in windows that you can copy these files too individually to get around this issue? Thanx!

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
http://www.ross-tech...l-com-port.html

This link might help understand why it worls on some pc and not others (their words) or maybe hopefully help you install your drivers.

pimpn

pimpn

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanx again but tried that as well and nothing. I had this software up and running before so i know it works. I think when I uninstalled it the last time it screwed something up... that's the only thing i can think of. I have tried restoring my system back to a point prior to that but NONE of my restore points work either.... nightmare. I think I'm going to have to wipe the system out and do a windows restore some how.