Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Belkin WLAN stick

• Please log in to reply

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi,

I have a Belkin WLAN USB stick which works perfectly on my desktop computer....until I switch off the computer and then restart it.

Once I have restarted, no wireless networks are recognised by the stick, so I then have to deinstall the driver for the stick, reinstall it, and then run the Fix It programme for problem 871122 on the MS database (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871122). The computer then picks up the wireless networks available and I can then connect to the box provided by the telephone company.*

It seems to me that something is happening to the driver or other set up during the shut down/start up, but I dont't know what.

I'm running Windows XP and also have Norton antivirus.

Would be grateful for any tips to avoid reinstalling every day.

TIA

RSP

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi RedSuedePump and :)
Try manually installing the drivers yourself, save the drivers on your desktop, remove any belkin software in Add/Remove programs, remove the USB device, reboot the computer, install the new drivers and only insert the USB device when prompted to by an on-screen message, good luck and let us know how it goes.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Hi phillpower,

Thanks for the reply, cool banner, by the way.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'manually install the drivers myself' and 'save them on my desk top'.

I've long since abandoned the cd supplied with the stick and have downloaded 'f7d4101 setup.exe' from the Belkin website and double click on that to install - is this what you mean by manual installation, or do I actually need to insert certain files into the right folders on the pc?

I keep the .exe file in My Documents, which, I guess, is equivalent to being on the desktop?

Look forward to your reply

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi RedSuedePump

I've long since abandoned the cd supplied with the stick and have downloaded 'f7d4101 setup.exe' from the Belkin website and double click on that to install - is this what you mean by manual installation,

That is correct then remove any belkin software in Add/Remove programs, remove the USB device, reboot the computer, install the new drivers and only insert the USB device when prompted to by an on-screen message, good luck and let us know how it goes.

RedSuedePump

RedSuedePump

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Phillpower,

I'm speechless, I was convinced it wouldn't work (it feels as if I've tried every other possible combination), but the problem is solved.

Thanks very much!

RSP

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Great news RSP, I am happy that the issue is now resolved and thanks for letting us know as your follow up may help others in the future with the same or similar problem :thumbsup: :rockon: