Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Network ID

• Please log in to reply

tyBox

tyBox

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm signed on as an Admin on my PC but the Network ID is grayed out (disabled)any suggestions on what I can do?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
tyBox

We need more detail please. Would you bear in mind that all we have to work with is what you tell us.
Please would you expand on your post.
What is the make and model of the computer if branded.
What are you using for the network connection on the computer - a wired connection or a wireless.
How does it connect - direct to the modem/router, or through a router and then to the modem.

What have YOU tried to date.

Thank you.

NB I have no way of knowing your level of knowledge. To give me some ideal - have you checked device manager. Have you tried connecting direct to the modem if you normally go through a router.
Are other computers able to connect the same way as you do. etc.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I'm using a Dell INSPIRON 9400, hard wired directly into the modem (Verizon) My Network adapters show no exclamation marks. Also, how do re-install the client for Microsoft networks, do I have to install again from scratch?

Thanks

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go start, right click My Computer, click properties, click the hardware tab click the device manager button.
On Network adaptors, expand with the plus sign on the left.
right click the ethernet device for the wired connection, click uninstall and reboot the computer.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
http://i1237.photobu...an1/network.jpgPosted Image

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
That is the wireless connection.
Please go device manager as I asked and what is shown there.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did a system restore so I have my client network connections back. Also, Device manager has no exclamations points, but I'm back to where I started, my Network ID is greyed out in Systems Properties.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I did a system restore

I never suggested a system restore.
What I would like you to do is to go to DEVICE MANAGER

Go start, right click My Computer, click properties, click the hardware tab click the device manager button.
On Network adaptors, expand with the plus sign on the left.
right click the ethernet device for the wired connection, click uninstall and reboot the computer.

Please see my screenshot.
This is from Vista but the principle is the same.
If the network adaptor shown in device manager does NOT include anything except the wireless connection, then is there any unknown device shown
If the wired connection is shown which will be something similar to the ethernet adaptor as shown on my screenshot then do as I suggested please.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 29 October 2011 - 06:04 PM.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I needed to do a system restore. However, uninstalling the software in device manager didn't help, and there are no 'unknown device' showing. Network ID is still grayed out in system properties.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I needed to do a system restore. However, uninstalling the software in device manager didn't help, and there are no 'unknown device' showing. Network ID is still grayed out in system properties.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
  • Windows Control Panel.
  • Open Network Connections" In this window, open the "Local Area Connection" item.
  • On the General tab, click properties and verify the checkbox next to Client for Microsoft Windows is unchecked. This confirms the component has not already been installed. If the network is currently active, you may not see any checkboxes in the window. In this case, click the "Properties" button one more time to reach the full General tab..
  • Click the checkbox next to Client for Microsoft Windows, then click the "Install..." button to begin the process of installing this component.
  • Select "Client" as the type of component from the list in the new window that appears. Click the "Add..." button to continue.
  • Choose "Microsoft" from the list of manufacturers shown on the left of the active window. Then, choose "Client for Microsoft Windows" from the list of Network Clients on the right side of the window. Click the "OK" button to continue.
  • Complete the installation by clicking the "OK" button to close the window, then proceed to reboot the computer. After the computer has restarted, Client for Microsoft Windows will be installed.
  • You will probably also need to uninstall and then install again the TCP/IP protocol and the "File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks"
Check the above.
Also check if you can ping the other computer using its IP address on the ping command.

If the above does not solve the networking issue, check your modem settings and a system file check would not go amiss

NB PLEASE confirm that you are talking about a computer connected to the Verizon that you are trying to connect to a home network, so all computers on the network can be accessed and NOT just a computer connected to the Internet without any NETWORK

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 October 2011 - 12:34 PM.

tyBox

tyBox

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Got it! I needed to start 'workstation' in Services.

Thanks anyway.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased you found it.
I was going on to Services next.

If you open the workstation service, you will see the list of dependencies, both for services that depend on workstation and for services that workstation depends on.
If it fails to start again, even when set to automatic, you should examine the services that workstation depends on and see which of those is not running.
When you try to start one of those, if it will not then start, you will receive an error message.
Hopefully it was a one off.
I do not know if you have been tweaking services, but that is a common cause of the error.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 October 2011 - 12:49 PM.