Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp updates fail

• Please log in to reply

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I'm trying to install updates kb 2539631,2478663, 2518870, and 2518864. They keep failing with error code ox64c. I uninstalled .net framework 4 with revo uninstaller and the framework removal tool. Then I reinstalled framework 4. The updates still fail. What should I be looking for?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Try this
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
Use the default fix before the aggressive fix.
I suggest you use the automated tool.

HOWEVER see this first

There are many reasons why updates may fail.
1. Anti-virus and firewall - disable them BUT ONLY while on the update site.

2. Some updates require the installation of another update first, or the installation of some particular item ie: Microsoft Silverlight. or for instance in the case of a security update for net framework 3.5 with SP1, clearly that will fail if the SP1 has not been installed first.
I have NOT researched those updates but if you go to the Microsoft site for the individual download of that update as against the windows update site, it will tell you in detail what is required before the update can be installed.

NOTE I have now checked all those updates and as YOU know of course, they are security updates for the various editions of Net Framework.
That error code is generic but may mean that the original net framework installation is corrupted and therefore the update to it will not install
If that is the case you can then use Control Panel add/remove programs - check the small box show updates and verify please which editions of net framework you have installed.. Some for instance Net framework 1 will not be there as they are included with the operating system.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 October 2011 - 06:14 PM.

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the reply. I tried that fixer already as well as disabling the antivirus. I sent a report to microsoft to see what they say.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
To save time please tell me all that you have tried.
Also please indicate on your reply whether your decision is to wait for a reply from Microsoft or pursue a possible solution on this site.
OR indeed on these sites where you have also asked for help
http://www.google.co...uEgdmOA&cad=rja

http://www.google.co...K0Ot8UQ&cad=rja

May I stress that you are of course able to ask for help on as many sites as you wish. However attempting to solve the same problem, at the same time, on different sites, is NOT the best idea from your point of view. Following three lots of advice tends to lead to confusion, again from your aspect and may indeed be counter-productive. Additionally to that it, may well lead to people on the sites wasting their time, when they make suggestions that you have already covered from advice on the other sites.

In summary
From GeekstoGo aspect would you indicate please if you want to seek further assistance on THIS site or whether we may conside the matter closed as far as we are concerned. I would stress that we are ready to help if you wish.

Thank you

Edited by Macboatmaster, 31 October 2011 - 10:10 AM.

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Sorry for any confusion. I'll let you know what Microsoft says. I'm open to all suggestions.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

Sorry for any confusion. I'll let you know what Microsoft says. I'm open to all suggestions.

I am sorry to labour the point but you have posted the same reply on other sites.
I really do recommend, that you work with the assistance being offered on ONLY one site at a time.
It is, I think you may agree, rather pointless for a suggestion to be made here on GeekstoGo, for you to reply you have already tried it, because it has been suggested elsewhere.

Larrycleve

Larrycleve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Here's the result I got from Microsoft. I replied to multiple websites as someone who looks at one might not look at the other. -

From our case log, I understand that .Net Framework update KB2539631,2478663, 2518870, and 2518864 failed to install. We have tried to remove and reinstall .Net Framework 4 and Microsoft Fix. If I have misunderstood your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know.

I understand the inconvenience you have experienced. Please be assured that I will do my best to help you.

I would like to explain that KB2539631, KB2518864 are for .Net Framework 3.5. KB2478663, KB2518870 are for .Net Framework 4.

Before proceeding, I would like to share knowledge about .NET Framework with you:

1. .NET Framework is a development and execution environment that allows different programming languages and libraries to work together seamlessly to create Windows-based applications that are easier to build, manage, deploy, and integrate with other networked systems.

2. .NET Frameworks are the foundation on which .NET applications, components, and controls are built. Since different computers have different environments, some installed third party applications may require a different .NET Framework.

.NET Framework 4

http://msdn.microsof...y/w0x726c2.aspx

.NET Framework is an integral Windows component that supports building and running the next generation of applications and Web services. The key components of the .NET Framework are the common language runtime (CLR) and the .NET Framework class library, which includes ADO.NET, ASP.NET, Windows Forms, and Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF). The .NET Framework provides a managed execution environment, simplified development and deployment, and integration with a wide variety of programming languages.

Actually, if we do not need to install those applications, we do not have to install the .NET Framework 4 and .Net Framework. If you would like to, I can help you safely hide it from Windows Update.

If you still prefer to install the .NET Framework, I suggest we first uninstall and reinstall the .NET Framework 3.5 components in clean boot mode to troubleshoot the issue.

Step 1 Install Windows Installer 4.5
======================
1. Please open the link below:

http://www.microsoft...&DisplayLang=en

2. Please download the file x86 Platform: WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe.
3. Please Double click the downloaded file and follow the instructions to install it.

If we receive the message “this update doesn’t apply to your system”, please don’t worry about it. It means that Windows Installer 4.5 has already been installed on the computer. Then, please go ahead to perform the following steps.

Step 2 Remove the .NET Framework components
================================
1. Please open the link below:

http://cid-27e6a35d1...leanup_tool.zip

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

2. Please save the zip file (dotnetfx_cleanup_tool.zip) from the above link to the local Desktop and extract it.
3. Double click cleanup_tool.exe to run the tool.
4. Please follow the instructions given.
In the "Product to cleanup:" box, please select ".NET Framework - All versions".
5. Click "Cleanup Now" button.
6. Restart the computer.

After that, I recommend we try to install the .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 Full Package
in clean boot mode. Please follow the steps below:

Step 3 Download the .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 Full Package
===============================================
Please download all the file via the link below and save it on your desktop:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 (Full Package)
http://www.microsoft...8c-fe5076bba986

Note: When the "File Download" window appears, please click "Save", and follow the directions to save the file on the Desktop.

Step 3 Install the update in clean boot mode
=====================================
Let's disable all startup items and third party services when booting. This method will help us determine if this issue is caused by a loading program or service. Please perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility.
2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click "Disable All" (if it is not gray).
3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK".
4. Click "OK" to restart your computer to Selective Startup environment.
5. When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the "Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts" box and click OK.

Note: Temporarily disabling the Startup Group only prevents the startup programs from loading at startup. This shouldn't affect the system or other programs. We may still manually run these programs later.

6. Please double click the downloaded .NET Framework 3.5 Service pack 1 Full Package and follow the instructions to install it.

If the update fails to install in clean boot mode, please help me collect the following files for further research.

If any error message is received, please follow the steps below to collect a screenshot of it for us.

Screenshot
========
1. Press PrintScreen (PrScrn) to capture a screenshot.
2. From Start, click Run, enter MSPAINT in the Open box, and then click OK.
3. Use Ctrl + V to paste the screen shot to the canvas.
4. From the File menu, go to Save and save as a JPG file to the Desktop.
5. Please send it to [email protected] as an attachment.

Collect .net framework 3.5 install log
====================
1. Click Start, click Run, type "%temp%" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.
2. Locate the files named as:

dd_dotnetfx35install.txt
dd_dotnetfx35error.txt
dd_depcheck_NETFX_EXP_35.txt

3. Please send the log file to me at [email protected] with the case ID in the subject line.

How to return from a Clean Boot state
=============================
1. Click "Start"->"Run", type "msconfig" (without the quotation marks) and press ENTER.
2. On the "General" tab, click "Normal Startup - load all device drivers and services".
3. Click "OK". Click "Restart" when you are prompted to restart your computer.

Please take your time with the steps and let me know the results at your earliest convenience. If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Well there is at this stage, nothing more to add.
I suggest you follow the advice.

Good Luck with it.