Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

left click works sporadically in Firefox 7.0.1

• Please log in to reply

JPowell

JPowell

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
When trying to push some buttons in some sites the button does not respond. Like I can't add items to my cart at some on line seller's sites. Some sites all the buttons work and some only some. OS is Vista. This began just a few months ago. I think it may have coincided with updating Firefox or Java or whatever.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Try running Firefox with no add ons and see if that makes any difference for you.

In the Firefox browser click Help then click Restart with add-ons disabled

JPowell

JPowell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Tried disabling ad-on and I'm still having the same problem. Left click will not actuate some buttons. Thanks for the advice. Have any more suggestions?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
What version of Internet Explorer is installed? To find out you simply click on "Help" in the browser, then click About Internet Explorer. Once I get the version # we can go after a few more possibilities that could be causing the issue. It may be a setting in Internet options somewhere.

Edit wrong post sorry, let me get back to you, with Firefox info.

Edited by zep516, 31 October 2011 - 08:56 AM.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
jPowell,

I'd try reinstalling Firefox to see if that clears it up.
http://www.mozilla.o...US/firefox/new/

Let us know.

JPowell

JPowell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Uninstalled Firefox and reinstalled from download. Disabled ad-on and still have same problem. Any more suggestions?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
You could try installing an old version of Firefox from link below just to see if the problem goes away, although I don't recommend running old versions. But it's something you can try and Firefox if it is Firefox may address that issue in a future up-date. All I can think of for now.

http://www.oldapps.com/firefox.php

Let us know how that works.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
This may be a shot in the dark but I have to ask.

Do you have Firefox set to accept Cookies for the sites that are giving you problems?

Try this:

Click Tools > Options > Privacy Tab

Under History click on drop down arrow ad choose Use custom settings for History and place a check mark in Accept cookies from sites.

Cookies are small pieces of information that are stored by your Internet browser on your computer's hard drive. Some sites use cookies to keep track of the items in your shopping cart. If cookies are turned off, then your shopping cart feature may not work for you.

If you have your browser set to accept cookies but still can not add items to your shopping cart you probably are experiencing a cache problem. To clear out your Firefox cache see here.

Let us know it that helps.

:)

JPowell

JPowell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Have erased history, cookies are accepted, disabled ad-ons and reinstalled Firefox 7.0.1. Still have the same problem. A matter I should have mentioned in the early going is that the same problem exists when using Internet Explorer. I'm thinking some sort of virus or a need to reload the OS. Any suggestions? Have not tried an earlier version of Firefox but the same problem with IE makes me think the problem may not be with Firefox.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
If you're having the issue across 2 browsers then you're correct it's not a Firefox issue. Lets run this program below:

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).
Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.

Clean out your temporary internet files and temp files.

Download TFC by OldTimer http://oldtimer.geekstogo.com/TFC.exe to your desktop.

Double-click TFC.exe to run it.

Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator

TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.

* Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
* Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
* Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.

Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Next We can look at a possible Java or Flash issue.

Advertisements

JPowell

JPowell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Downloaded and ran TFC. Rebooted. No changes. Still have problem. Another matter I probably should have mentioned earlier is that when trying to access Yahoo maps I get an error message saying that JavaScript must be enabled to see maps. JavaScript is enabled in Firefox Options under Content. Cannot see Google maps either.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Please download JavaRa from here http://sourceforge.n..._mirror=osdnand unzip it to your desktop.
  • Double-click on JavaRa.exe to start the program. (Windows Vista users Right-click JavaRa.exe > Select Run as Administrator)
  • Click on Remove Older Versions to remove older versions of Java.
  • A logfile will pop up. Please save it to a convenient location.

Post the log created.

Test your version here:
http://javatester.org/version.html

Edited by zep516, 01 November 2011 - 02:54 PM.

JPowell

JPowell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Ran JavaRA. Have attached the file that popped onto screen.

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I don't see the attachment, that's ok as long as javara ran. Did you test your Java version from the test link I provided in post #12?

Cannot see Google maps either.

Is that true in both browsers? What do you see when you try to view a Google Map?

JPowell

JPowell

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
JavaRA did run. Don't know why the file didn't attach. Will try again. Have attached Java version taken from the DOS command prompt java -version. Both browsers show only a little text when trying to get Google Maps. No graphics.

Attached Files

• Attached File  log.pdf   27.02KB   190 downloads