Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Newbie reformatting questions

• Please log in to reply

dzgrrly

dzgrrly

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi all,

I've gotten myself all confused reading online about reformatting. (It's on a friend's badly infected computer--that I've already wasted too many hours on--with zero personal files/added programs.) So, figured I'd put it to the experts! :yes:

I am wondering, since I don't have an actual XP disc, only the 'recovery' ones provided by Compaq, can I still use the SP3 iso disc (which I burned)? And if so, when during the process/how? I know about slipstreaming (and nLite) but it's impossible to use without the actual XP disc, right? I'd also read something about copying the i386 file or some other files within it in order to incorporate the two, but that was pretty confusing, lol! ;->

Also wanna know if there's a way to incorporate all the Windows updates from SP3 release to present without having to sit through that nightmare?

Is it easier/better to use recovery console instead of recovery discs?

I'm also wondering if there's a way *not* to get all the bloatware using what I have (and not the actual XP disc)?

There's also a site I found called "bootdisk.com" that allegedly has instant access so one can burn a bootable XP disc, but I'm not sure it's legit, and if it is, will my product key work?

Ideas?

Thanks all! :)

Edited by dzgrrly, 30 October 2011 - 04:51 PM.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
I am wondering, since I don't have an actual XP disc, only the 'recovery' ones provided by Compaq, can I still use the SP3 iso disc (which I burned)?

What SP3 ISO? You mean just the service pack that's available as an ISO?

I know about slipstreaming (and nLite) but it's impossible to use without the actual XP disc, right?

Not sure. I don't know what type of recovery disk it is. Do they have an i386 folder?

Also wanna know if there's a way to incorporate all the Windows updates from SP3 release to present without having to sit through that nightmare?

Yeah but I don't know if it will work with the type of disk you have or is it disks (more than one)?
http://xdot.tk/updates.html

The recovery console is for performing command line repairs.

I'm also wondering if there's a way *not* to get all the bloatware using what I have (and not the actual XP disc)?

I'm afraid not. You would have to use a plain XP disk.

There's also a site I found called "bootdisk.com" that allegedly has instant access so one can burn a bootable XP disc, but I'm not sure it's legit, and if it is, will my product key work?

Doesn't sound legit.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You can use the CD you created from the SP3 iso as long as you used the iso as input to burner software that knows what to do with it. If you just burned the .iso file to CD then it's not very useful.

Unless you have a very slow internet connection I would recommend you download this .EXE:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

That's from the same place you got the .iso. With it, all you need to do to install it is double click on it. You will need to have SP1 or SP2 installed first though. Check System Properties after you use the Recovery CDs to see what is installed. It should say SP1 or SP2.

dzgrrly

dzgrrly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

I am wondering, since I don't have an actual XP disc, only the 'recovery' ones provided by Compaq, can I still use the SP3 iso disc (which I burned)?

What SP3 ISO? You mean just the service pack that's available as an ISO?

Yes, I mean the SP3 that's available as an ISO. I burned it to a disk but don't know if it's usable on its own, or how...

I know about slipstreaming (and nLite) but it's impossible to use without the actual XP disc, right?

Not sure. I don't know what type of recovery disk it is. Do they have an i386 folder?

They are Compaq-provided recovery discs (two discs + another with drivers & applications) that have an i386 folder pointing to the recovery partition (D drive, in this case). The i386 folder on the discs only has like 3 or 4 folders in it, unlike the REAL i386 folder. That's why I was wondering about incorporating the i386 folder from my own working computer onto a disc with the XP3 image (slipstreaming 'em together).

Yeah but I don't know if it will work with the type of disk you have or is it disks (more than one)?
http://xdot.tk/updates.html

No this will not work--it is used with the nLite program I mentioned and needs the actual XP installation discs, not the manufacturer-provided "recovery" discs which merely recover what's already within the computer's recovery partition....

The recovery console is for performing command line repairs.

Thank you.

I'm afraid not. You would have to use a plain XP disk.

That stinks....

Doesn't sound legit.

I've seen people mention it on a couple legit boards, but wasn't sure. Of course, my husband has 'ways' of getting the file/s online (wink, wink), just don't know if they'll work with the product key I already have??

Edited by dzgrrly, 30 October 2011 - 07:00 PM.

dzgrrly

dzgrrly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

You can use the CD you created from the SP3 iso as long as you used the iso as input to burner software that knows what to do with it. If you just burned the .iso file to CD then it's not very useful.

Unless you have a very slow internet connection I would recommend you download this .EXE:

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

That's from the same place you got the .iso. With it, all you need to do to install it is double click on it. You will need to have SP1 or SP2 installed first though. Check System Properties after you use the Recovery CDs to see what is installed. It should say SP1 or SP2.

I only burned the iso to CD....darn. So, it won't just 'run'?
But I'm confused by what you mean by using the "iso as input to burner software that knows what to do with it"? Any suggestions (of programs or how to do so)? I am aware of that link, which--like you said--is where I got the original download, but what's difference doing it online after the install or incorporating it as part of the install as an iso? Doesn't it save time offline? That was the impression I got from the nLite guides which say that otherwise you have to sit through each download....

Still wondering if there's a way to maybe burn some kind of 'franken-disc' incorporating the files from the 'recovery discs' + the real i386 folder/files + the SP3 iso that would *actually work*.

Then again, I'm also wondering if I'm just over-thinking this whole thing and should just stick the discs in and get on with it.... The googling beforehand was to prepare, but all it's done is further confuse me! Sigh....

Edited by dzgrrly, 30 October 2011 - 07:07 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
As Ztruker said you cannot burn an ISO image file using normal burning software, as all you end up with is an ISO image file
You need a special burning program that will burn ISO files

Here is the link
http://www.snapfiles...tag=70397&loc=2

Do not put the blank CD in until the software asks for it.
Here are the instructions and see image
Then, we will have to burn that image to a disc with a program called Burncdcc. ~ Start up burncdcc after you finish downloading
~ Browse for the "iso" file
~ Check the "Read Verify" box
~ And press Start when there is a disc in your CD drive

HOWEVER the easier option was given to you by Ztruker.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 October 2011 - 07:20 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Just download the .exe file I gave you the link to. Why bother with a CD? It's slower that running the .exe directly.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I totally agree, as I said in my post

HOWEVER the easier option was given to you by Ztruker.

dzgrrly

dzgrrly

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks all!