Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error msg: Disk Drive C unreadable HELP PLS :(

• Please log in to reply

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
they both said The system cannot find the path specified.
at the C:\> I did
cd tools and it gave that message.
Also I did,
cd \Windows\System32\Tools\PCRestore

I hope I did those right. also did combinations with capital letters off too, didn't know if that mattered. All gave me the error.

Advertisements

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
This one is definitely out to test our patience ;)

Lets try another method. If this doesn't work I will have to try and get a full list of the contents of the Recovery partition and see what's missing or has changed and get you to upload the log to me.

So as before, if you can boot from the disc again and go into the Command Prompt option. Once you are there, just type the following lines exactly as they appear below, hitting Enter on the keyboard after each line. Note that some of the characters are forward slahes and some are backward slashes.

c:
cd imaging
imagex /apply c:\dell\image\factory.wim 1 d:

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
from the c prompt when I typed in cd imaging, I got the same error message of: The system cannot find the path specified.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Something doesn't sound right on the Recovery partition. Before we do a search for the recovery files, can you tell me if you have a program called Dell DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 installed on the laptop? It appears that for certain models of Dell's including this one, they are no longer providing the discs in the first place, you will need to create your own or use the built in Recovery partition (which we are having trouble with). Can you follow the steps here and see if you are able to create the discs.

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ON her computer it's called Dell DataSafe Backup, no 2.0. I went ahead and created the 2 recovery discs.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
:thumbsup:

Could you now pop Disc 1 into the drive and boot from it please. Hopefully once you have booted from it, it should give you the steps to recover the laptop to factory settings. I don't have a guide which covers doing it from the Recovery Discs, but if you have any problems along the way, just let me know the details :)

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
the first disc is in her computer and I hit the F12 button. It says Windows is loading files. Then I get a screen called Windows Boot Manager.

The screen reads;
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem: Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer. Choose your language settings, and click 'Next'. Click 'Repair your computer'.
If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \windows\system32\boot\winload.exe
Info: The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
We're not having much luck here are we :rolleyes: I don't actually know why that message is coming up to be honest with you. What I would try is, boot from it again if you haven't already done so and see if the same error appears. If it still errors, try burning the disc again to a new DVD just in case it didn't burn properly the first time. If it is still doing it after that I think I will need to consult with the Tech staff here who may well be able to assist you better with this situation. See how you get on with the above though first.

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I did try the disc a second time and got same error message. I was going to try and burn another disc as you asked in case something was wrong with the first one. When I follow the directions to click start then click on All Programs, the Dell DataSafe Backup 2.0, the folder is called DateSafe as I mentioned. When I click on it, it's empty, I knew that before and somewhere I assume, created the disc from somewhere on the computer? I would have had to, and now I can't find it when I search even the Control Panel. I can't find anywhere that says Recovery Discs. It was several days ago and I don't know where I would have found that spot to create the Recovery discs. :(

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Sounds like you are looking in the correct place (Start Menu > All Programs > Dell DataSafe Backup). Strange how it's just vanished. Whilst I look into alternatives, could you look in C:\Program Files\Dell DataSafe Backup or C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Backup, and let me know if you see any .exe files within those folders. .Exe files are listed as 'Application' in the Type column in Windows 7.

Also, just try the F8 then Repair Your Computer option again for me please. I know it just booted straight into Windows before, but if you could try it again, as the Dell Data Safe program is connected with the Recovery partition.

Advertisements

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
Well, I want to make sure I'm clear, when I burned the CD before, I didn't get the info right from the All Programs area. Nothing was there, but I can't remember where on the computer I found it. I tried the F8 again and repair your computer and it went right to booting. :(
In my C drive the folder Program Files is empty. The Program Files (x86)has the Dell DataSafe Local Backup folder.

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Could you look in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell DataSafe Local Backup folder and let me know what 'Applications' are present within it please.

In the example below, you can tell which are Applications as the Type column will show them as 'Application'. In this example FreeCell is the only one. You can always sort them in order by clicking Type at the top.

Posted Image

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
in that folder they are: DataSafe, DellArchiveApp, DPInst, DsLauncher, DSLCheck, DsUpEula, HLink, hstart, InstallRE, PlugInImpl, QTool Lite, RMCWinPeCreator, RPCatalog, RPLaunch, RPLauncher, RPSetup, SetMUILanguage, SFTCmdArchiver,SftService, SftVss, SftVss64, ST_CRYPT, TagxDEPart, Toaster, ToasterLauncher, UpgradeVistaTo7, vcx64, VSSX64,

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Thanks for the list. If you can go back into that folder and run DataSafe.exe. If that doesn't load the DataSafe program then run DsLauncher.exe. One of these should start the program. Once it is running, try burning the discs again :)

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I reburned the discs and rebooted the computer. Got the same error msg from before. The Windows Boot Manager screen showing:
Windows failed to start. A recent hardware.....etc