Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error msg: Disk Drive C unreadable HELP PLS :(

• Please log in to reply

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Just so you know, I'm asking the Tech members here, who may well be able to give some fresh ideas on this problem or workarounds we may be able to try. Either myself or one of the Tech's will be with you as soon as we have any new steps to try :)

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you add any, or change the RAM...some of the older dell's recovery would not restore the factory image if the RAM had changed after leaving the factory...

type in cmd select cmd.exe from the results above...type in sfc /scannow... and press enter
NOTE the single space between sfc and the /

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
thanks! sounds good. Any help is much appreciated.

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

did you add any, or change the RAM...some of the older dell's recovery would not restore the factory image if the RAM had changed after leaving the factory...

type in cmd select cmd.exe from the results above...type in sfc /scannow... and press enter
NOTE the single space between sfc and the /

I've never changed anything on her computer. Once I run that scan, what do you want me to do with the scan?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
sfc will replace any bad / corrupt windows files with good ones...
once that is done run chkdsk /r

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
ok, so I'm a real novice at this. I'm not sure where you want me to start. When you say run it, do I click start and type run then hit enter, when that box comes up type in cmd or the cmd.exe?

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Just so you know, I'm asking the Tech members here, who may well be able to give some fresh ideas on this problem or workarounds we may be able to try. Either myself or one of the Tech's will be with you as soon as we have any new steps to try :)

what do we have going on so far? I've been busy but what's up? thx

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Hey,

Yep, happyrock is one of the Tech staff here and he is getting you to try a few things to see if we can get Windows reinstalled for you, so just follow his instructions :) He is probably just a bit busy over the holiday period, so in answer to your question, I'll pop a link below for you to have a look at, which should guide you through the process of running SFC. Once you have done this and the chkdsk, just post back to let him know :thumbsup:

- Running SFC /Scannow (Don't do Step 4, unless happyrock says to do so)

- With Chkdsk, just follow the same instructions as before, but instead of typing sfc /scannow, just type chkdsk /r and press Enter. It will then ask you would you like to schedule it for the next restart, hit Y on the keyboard, then press Enter. Reboot your laptop and it will then perform a chkdsk.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm baaaaack...so where are we... :blink:

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
i did the scan thing, but I can't open the log. It says access denied. After I did the chkdsk thing too.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to Control Panel...classic view...Admin Tools...Event Viewer...
left panel, click the pointer in front of Windows Logs...under the
above...click Application...middle column... scroll to find the list that
says Wininit left click on Wininit...right
panel, under Event Chkdsk or Wininit click Event Properties... Just scroll up and down to view...
copy and paste the log back here

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
I hope this is right...
Checking file system on C: The type of the file system is NTFS. Volume label is OS. A disk check has been scheduled. Windows will now check the disk. CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)... 345344 file records processed. File verification completed. 847 large file records processed. 0 bad file records processed. 0 EA records processed. 43 reparse records processed. CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)... 437950 index entries processed. Index verification completed. 0 unindexed files scanned. 0 unindexed files recovered. CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)... 345344 file SDs/SIDs processed. Cleaning up 759 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9. Cleaning up 759 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9. Cleaning up 759 unused security descriptors. Security descriptor verification completed. 46304 data files processed. CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal... 36781496 USN bytes processed. Usn Journal verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)... 345328 files processed. File data verification completed. CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)... 105657590 free clusters processed. Free space verification is complete. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the master file table (MFT) bitmap. CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap. Windows has made corrections to the file system. 472984599 KB total disk space. 49726172 KB in 267167 files. 164976 KB in 46305 indexes. 0 KB in bad sectors. 463087 KB in use by the system. 65536 KB occupied by the log file. 422630364 KB available on disk. 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. 118246149 total allocation units on disk. 105657591 allocation units available on disk. Internal Info: 00 45 05 00 8c c8 04 00 f4 03 09 00 00 00 00 00 .E.............. 12 04 00 00 2b 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ....+........... 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................ Windows has finished checking your disk. Please wait while your computer restarts.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...that was it...
chkdsk /r not really finding any bad sectors means the hard drive is probably good and since your trying to restore to factory fresh condition from the recovery partition...it usually means that somebody "saved" something to that partition and it no longer will work as designed...
the workaround is to buy a recovery CD from the manufacture or aftermarket vendor and the reinstall from the CD...about $25.00
if you give the EXACT make and model numbers I will get the link/s for you

love2teach956

love2teach956

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
She has a Dell Inspiron 1750. Model: P04E There's other stuff on the bottom of computer, let me know what else you might need.
My other daughter is gonna help me buy the recovery disc.

Thanks!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you check the model # again...I can't find 1750
just 1720...1721...and E 1705