Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

First mATX build

• Please log in to reply

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
First off I'll say I know this wont be amazing, but I'm giving it as a gift to my grandmother who probably wont use it for more than netflix, web browsing, and typing, and who is still using an emachines with 512 RAM and a sempron. I've built a few computers, some for myself and a few in some classes (but all full ATX), but its been awhile and I want to make sure it'll run pretty fast. Also I will probably be running XP on it (I don't know if she'd really want to adjust to a new OS). Please let me know any suggestions or if I should change anything.

Case/PSU
Mobo/CPU
RAM
DVD Burner

I already have the HDD, its a Western Digital sata 320gb drive. A tad older but barely used and a place to save money.
I know some might not the the RAM is great, but it may be 32 bit, in which anymore is pointless. I'm trying to keep it under 200-250 (I contemplated for awhile if I should build or buy). Thanks for your input! :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
The problem with many cases is they toss in cheap, no-name PSUs. I would not trust that PSU.

While she may be used to XP, XP was designed over 10 years ago when security was an after thought. You should put Window 7 64-bit on it. There's nothing wrong with that RAM. But even if not using more than 4Gb, I would still put 64-bit Windows on it. 32-bit is phasing out and 64-bit is here to stay, and 64-bit Windows 7 has more security features than the 32-bit version.

drmoneejd

drmoneejd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
Yeah, you're right. XP is good, but I guess it is getting pretty out dated. And I completely agree about 32 bit, I wouldn't even consider 32 bit if I didn't already have them from my past bought computers. Looks like I'll be buying instead. It's almost impossible to build a decent computer and buy Win7 (any version) for $250. Thanks for the input though!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

It's almost impossible to build a decent computer and buy Win7 (any version) for $250.

That's true. When the big makers can buy a 1,000,000 sticks of RAM at bulk prices, there's way individual builders can compete in price.