Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

making good use of a second hard drive

• Please log in to reply

mel41

mel41

• Pip
  • 8 posts
hello i am running xp pro on a optiplex gx620 with 4Gb of memory and i have a 80Gb hard drive that is my primary system partition. I just installed a new 250Gb hard drive and i want to make good use of it. I wanted to know what i need to do so that i am making good use of this second hard drive so i can increase my computers performance because as of right now it seems to be just sitting there. Any advice would be helpfull thank you for your time. [Unsure]

Advertisements

mel41

mel41

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I forgot to mention that i have already initialized the hard drive and formated it using NTFS as a primary partition. I just need to know how to make use of it so my computer performance is OPTIMAL. i would definatley like more than one view on this subject if there is any thank you.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi mel41
Just to clarify, a partition is a separate storage space on a single HDD, for example your present 80GB HDD could have your operating system on your C: drive and be allocated 10GB of space, the remainder of the storage space/partition is then allocated a separate drive letter (K) for example and so identifies 2 partitions on 1 HDD.
Your computer specs list the SATA or SATA11 type of HDD fitted so here is a guide for you to read through; http://computershopp...five-easy-steps
A second individual HDD is often referred to as a Slave Drive.