Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Backup drive has damaged Sect 0

• Please log in to reply

mikell808

mikell808

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
As the title says, I have a backup drive that has a damaged sector 0,0,0. I have been trying to run Spinrite and at both level 2 and 4 it can't get past trying to repair sect 0. Is there a way to access the data on the drive with a damaged boot sector?

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I would try running the diagnostics downloaded from the drive maker's site. Then use a program like Recuva, from the makers of CCleaner or Restoration to see if you can recover anything.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I have software already that can recover deleted files, what I need is something that can access the data without a proper boot record. I was reading a post where one of the techs was recommending using a universal Boot cd. I downloaded it and ran the testdisk option but it has so many different programs and options that I am not sure what would solve my issues. Do you have any knowledge about using that software?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
There are sever testdisk tutorials but none are guaranteed to solve your issues. I would still run the drive maker's diagnostics. Or you might try Repair Boot Sector. But in any case, expect the worst.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Yes I tried the Wd Diag both in windows and from Dos, niether offered any repair options. I ran test disk and it does identify the drive correctly and runs thru the scan but I am not sure what do from that point in order to either restore a MBR or to re-partition the drive and try to access the date that way. If you are not familiar with this tool can you please pass me to someone who is.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You don't want to repartition, you want to recover your data. If neither of the options I provided worked, then you are probably hosed and your only option may be to use a data recovery service. But these can be very expensive as it takes specialized forensic equipment and trained technicians, and lots of time. So, depending on how much value you place in that data, it may or may not be worth it.

If anyone else has any ideas, I am sure they will step in with suggestions.

mikell808

mikell808

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
I found a program called Roadkils Rawcopy. Says it can copy data from a damaged drive even if there is no partitions or boot record. Its running right now, but says it will run for about 10 days. I have not heard of this program but the description described exactly what I was looking for. Will update if this provides a real solution. Any thoughts on this program?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
It says it will copy a raw image. So if your data files are corrupt, the data files in the copy will be corrupt too so don't get your hopes up too high.

Good luck. I hope it succeeds and please keep us posted.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,007 posts
Digerati is Puppy worth a shot here if only to try and recover the data.
mikell808 http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/274691-use-puppy-linux-live-cd-to-recover-your-data/