Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can't get to the xp setup screen - Bootable USB XP setup

• Please log in to reply

zkteh

zkteh

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
i can't get to the xp setup screen, it stops at a blinking cursor screen
i am trying to boot xp setup from my usb to do a repair install...
computer ~mobo specs.
(i am using used the <nlite> iso image and <Novicorp_WinToFlash>
to create the bootable usb )
i split/streamed the driver(s) - INF Update Utility - Zip Format
pls guide me to choose the correct divers

the usb works on another computer...(can get to the xp setup screen, even install it)
:) pls help me. TQ. :yes:

Edited by zkteh, 06 November 2011 - 04:52 AM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Hi zkteh -
Can you please tell us what has been your O/S up till now ??
Do you have your original Microsoft CD somewhere, or have you never actually had your own XP CD ??
If this is an update from another O/System (eg. M/S2000 or similar) or a Fresh install on a new Mobo ??

Thank You -

zkteh

zkteh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
1. okay, i am having xp in my asus computer... i can't get in normal mode, even in safe mode, so
i decided to do a repair install.... like this one - How-to repair Windows XP
2. your are right.. i don't have my own OS installation disc...
one thing to ask you.., if i use different OS installation disc(both* product key aren't same)
*(disc and computer) to do repair install, will the product key(computer) be change ?
3. i don't understand your last sentence(third)

TQ.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi again -
""okay, i am having xp in my asus computer... ""<<-- So you are only reinstalling to your Asus, that did have XP installed -
As long as you still have your XP "product key"/ License from the ASUS to enter when you finish, all should be OK.
This was what my question 3 was asking (have you had XP installed, or not).

""if i use different OS installation disc(both* product key aren't same)
*(disc and computer) to do repair install, will the product key(computer) be change ?""
You should still use the XP "product key"/ License from your ASUS computer to register when you reinstall.

If you install with the same version of XP (Home / Media / Pro) your license will still match another XP CD.

Thank You -

zkteh

zkteh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
""You should still use the XP "product key"/ License from your ASUS computer to register when you reinstall.""

~ so, the xp will not install(include the product key in windows files) ?
~ "to register" = activate it ?
~ "when you reinstall"----> after/in the setup ?
you haven't answer my question---> i can't get to the xp setup screen, it stops at a blinking cursor screen(refer to my recent post)

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
~ so, the xp will not install = Yes, it should install, you are telling me "it will install on other computers".
~ "to register" = activate it ? = Only after you reinstall, you have 2 weeks to register it.
~ "when you reinstall"--> after/in the setup ? = Only after you are happy with the reinstall (see above).

""i can't get to the xp setup screen, it stops at a blinking cursor screen
i am trying to boot xp setup from my usb to do a repair install...""
= Try to boot First from the bootable USB, and see if this works on your system.(See 2/ below)

""i can't get in normal mode, even in safe mode, so i decided to do a repair install....""
If you were running XP, try the repair install First , then tell us what happens ------ (See 2/ below)

""i can't get to the xp setup screen, it stops at a blinking cursor screen"" (See 2/ below)
Try the reinstall First. You are telling me it works.

2/ Open BIOS and set your USB as First Boot and make sure it is Enabled.

2/ You can enter BIOS prior to getting the XP Setup Screen. Do you know how to do this on your computer ??
I am working with another computer and I can enter BIOS without Any OS installed at the moment.

Edited by noknojon, 03 November 2011 - 02:04 PM.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
http://www.bleepingc...te-bootable-cd/
You can also make a bootable XP CD with this (above /\) method on another same version computer and transfer it to yours.
Please note that if you had Home Edition installed, you will need to reinstall Home Edition - Same for Pro or Media versions -

Only after you are happy with the re-install will you need to re-register your license code with Microsoft.

This is listed on a sticker on your computer, and looks like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx 5 sets of 5 numbers and letters.

Again you do not need to get to the Windows login screen, just set your BIOS to boot from CD in this case.

zkteh

zkteh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
firstly, i am confused :) obout the product key...
please elaborate the answer to let me understand more.
okay, you said that i can "transfer it to yours", so how about the product key ?
isn't there is product key in the cd and it will be installed in the computer(if i use this cd to install/re-install xp ?
so, after i done a re-install, the product key will be replaced by the cd(if i use different cd/cdkey) , right ?
- Pls be inform that i had prepared the usb "wonderfully", as i said it works on other compuetr...
-""You can enter BIOS prior to getting the XP Setup Screen.""---> are you saying about hdd priority ?, is so, than pls be inform that i had set the usb to be first boot device n to be the first hdd priority....
i need immediately attention
:yes:

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

firstly, i am confused :) obout the product key...
please elaborate the answer to let me understand more.
okay, you said that i can "transfer it to yours", so how about the product key ?
isn't there is product key in the cd and it will be installed in the computer(if i use this cd to install/re-install xp ?

Please note that I asked you if YOU had XP installed on your computer - Then YOUR Product Key should be on a sticker on the side of your computer !!!
Only if you Purchase a NEW CD can you get a NEW Product Key. You keep telling me that XP was installed. If it was then see above /\. You have a Product Key.

""so, after i done a re-install, the product key will be replaced by the cd(if i use different cd/cdkey) , right ?"" NO - Use the Sticker Key on the side of your computer.
Do you see a Sticker on the side of your computer with 5 sets of 5 Random letters and numbers like I showed you post #7 ?? This is YOUR Product Key.

""than pls be inform that i had set the usb to be first boot device n to be the first hdd priority...."" What is ""n"" ??
This is very good if first boot is USB device. You have done this OK -

Now please try to 1/ Insert USB Flash drive > 2/ Reboot computer > 3/ Follow install instructions > 4/ Report what happens, OK.
You say ""the usb works on another computer..."" so now try it in yours - - -

zkteh

zkteh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
okay, i think we miss understand from each other
pls ignore all topic related to product key...
as i said i had set the USB drive "wonderfully"
~BIOS setting and "transfer" xp setup to USB~
the screen stops at a blinking cursor screen...(pls refer to my first post)
"n" = and
TQ.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

OK - Please do not use too many TXT phrases like IMO, ROFL, and other shortcuts, as not all of us do understand them and may make a mistake.

So now the USB Device will not work as a boot device to reinstall ?? Is this right ??
Or have you had any type of result, except that you are back at the start ??

Please tell me exactly what happens and what you do. I am in Australia, and I cannot see your screen at all.
Remember that we are from all over the world, and we only know what you can tell us is going on there.

Can you borrow an XP CD that was exactly the same as the OS you had installed on your computer (Home, Pro, Media, etc) ??
We can reinstall from a good XP CD, but only the same version as you already had installed.

Thank You -

zkteh

zkteh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
no, that computer doesn't have optical drive to let me play.
"it works on other computer"---> means i can get to the xp setup even install xp in that computer but can't start the xp(maybe is driver problem, its too new for xp)
yes, you are right, it just stop at a blinking cursor screen(after the BIOS POST)
"except that you are back at the start"---> i can't understand this sentence.
i am not good in english :) , pls use simple words/sentences. :yes:
i think i had described my situation/result to you... :)
TQ.

Edited by zkteh, 04 November 2011 - 03:00 AM.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Can you try the instructions in this post now ??
http://www.geekstogo...ost__p__2079185

What happens when you try to enter Safe Mode or other modes -

zkteh

zkteh

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
why i will need to select the ""Disable automatic restart on system failure"" option ? ---> is it related to booting issue :) ?
i think i had tried with it before, and the result re-main.(related to 3)
Pls be inform that my main question :) is why i can't get to the xp setup screen ?
2. Sry, i have left something :yes: , i can't get to the "advanced boot option"----> this is the computer that having problem to booting my usb, it shown error message(i can't remember) and the last sentence is "Select 'R' at the first screen to start repair" but i want to perform a repair install...
"What happens when you try to enter Safe Mode or other modes"---> i can see the list(listing loaded files..)but it finally restart by itself.other mode same...(with networking, cmd)

3. And i recently informing you that i can't get in normal mode, even in safe mode---> this is another computer but they are having the same hardware and i haven't try the usb with this computer.
TQ.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
http://www.google.co...cvzwcTL7oZnEtYg
Above is the link to ASUS laptop Forum.
I have no other exact answers at this time, but the ASUS forum may have better direct help on your problems.

Thank You -