Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blue Screen Mini Dump

• Please log in to reply

jen147

jen147

• PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Hello,

This morning when I started my computer, it seemed to take an extra minute to get to the user account page. Once there I chose the user account I normally use. And then it came on but my startup programs seemed to stall. I tried to open a few to see what was the hold up, Comodo (my firewall) just said it was still initializing. Then I got the blue screen (my first experiencing that, didn't even know it was called a blue screen till I did some googling). It went away too fast for me to read much, the computer tried to restart and it finally did and I copied this info to a sticky note:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 3b
BCP1: 00000000C0000005
BCP2: FFFFF8800488CBD9
BCP3: FFFFF88003A7AA40
BCP4: 0000000000000000
OS Version: 6_1_7601
Service Pack: 1_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\110111-19047-01.dmp

Like I said I googled it and most sites were saying to download Microsoft Debugging tools and Symbols and I can't figure out which Debugging tools are right for my system. I don't want to make anything worse, so I came here. I did run MBAM just in case and it came up clean. This computer is 1 month old, here is a copy of my thread in your system building & upgrading forum: http://www.geekstogo...ble-in-this-pc/

We only installed a better graphics card and suitable power supply to run it.

My system specs are (the report was long, so I just copied the top portion and what I thought you'd most need):

Time of this report: 11/1/2011, 09:34:00
Machine name: OBADIAH2
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Acer
System Model: Aspire M3410
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: AMD Athlon™ II X4 645 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.1GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4088MB RAM
Page File: 1927MB used, 6246MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

Thanks for any help you can provide. So far it's running fine. I did also check for a Windows update and there was 1 important & 1 optional and I got them both, they installed fine and the computer restarted just fine. Maybe this was a one time thing but I just want to stay on top of things this being a brand new computer.

Advertisements

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
Hi jen147,

It might be worth file attaching the minidump file so that people can have a look at it.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Ok. Let me know if I don't do it right. Also found this in control panel:

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff8800488cbd9, 0xfffff88003a7aa40, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 110111-19047-01.

It did something similar just a minute ago, while I was typing this response, I thought it was going to shut down on me but it never did and I did not get the blue screen. Said something about Windows had stopped working and was going to shut down, but like I said, it didn't. Weird.

Edit: I'm having trouble attacking the dump file... It says: Error You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
I've worked a bit on getting a look at that minidump file. I used BlueScreenView. And here's what it's saying:

==================================================
Dump File : 110111-19047-01.dmp
Crash Time : 11/1/2011 7:10:42 AM
Bug Check String : SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION
Bug Check Code : 0x0000003b
Parameter 1 : 00000000`c0000005
Parameter 2 : fffff880`0488cbd9
Parameter 3 : fffff880`03a7aa40
Parameter 4 : 00000000`00000000
Caused By Driver : tdx.sys
Caused By Address : tdx.sys+12bd9
File Description :
Product Name :
Company :
File Version :
Processor : x64
Crash Address : ntoskrnl.exe+7cc40
Stack Address 1 :
Stack Address 2 :
Stack Address 3 :
Computer Name :
Full Path : C:\Windows\Minidump\110111-19047-01.dmp
Processors Count : 4
Major Version : 15
Minor Version : 7601
Dump File Size : 275,064
==================================================

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage
to your computer.

The problem seems to be caused by the following file: tdx.sys

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen,
restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow
these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed.
If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer
for any Windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware
or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart
your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then
select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff8800488cbd9, 0xfffff88003a7aa40,
0x0000000000000000)

*** tdx.sys - Address 0xfffff8800488cbd9 base at 0xfffff8800487a000 DateStamp
0x4ce79332

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Download [removed by Digerati pending review] and post the log it creates.Also what kinda computer do you have
Also vista/win7 32/64 bit?

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
From the research ive done it may be your wireless driver,it may also be a sound driver issue, that is why I have asked you to run unknown device identifier so that I can find the proper driver you need and hopefully fix the issue at hand. As you said it is only 1 month old so quite possibly you may have an incorrect driver installed.
:)

Edited by rockmilk, 01 November 2011 - 08:02 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I have removed the links pending review. Unknowndeviceidentifier.exe has mixed comments as to its validity. And I also moderating the other post suggesting to upload a file off site.

Since this computer is very new, and since BSODs are typically the result of hardware and device issues, I am hesitant of doing anything that may impact your warranty.

Are there any errors in Device Manager? Is Windows current? You might consider getting rid of Comodo and using Windows Firewall - there's nothing wrong with it. I am not saying Comodo is bad, but it has been problematic for some users. I've been using Windows Firewall and MSE on my Windows 7 machine for 2 years now with no problems.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Well, I've already voided my warrenty because we installed a new graphics card and powersupply when we bought the new computer and installed them before we ever turned the computer on. Do you think either of them could be causing the problem? It hasn't done the blue screen but the one time.

Device Manager: Everything said "This Device is working properly". Is that what you meant by looking for errors? There were about 7 items under System Devices that said "No Drivers are installed".

Everything is updated and current to the best of my knowledge.

Does Avast work well with Windows Firewall?

I read online somewhere when I googled "Caused By Address : tdx.sys+12bd9" that it was caused by K9 (a parental control filter) and I do have that installed, what do you think about that? It was only one person on a forum somewhere else, not here.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yes, Avast works with WF.

That error can be caused by several things, not just K9. I am afraid I am at a loss. If me I would test my RAM and maybe even swap in a spare power supply just to make sure I had good power.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
How do I test my RAM?

Here are some specs for this PC:
AMD Athlon II x4 Quad-Core processor
3.1GHz, 2MB Cache
4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory
1TB SATA hard drive

It came with:
ATI Radeon HD 4250 Graphics

We changed it to:
XFX Radeon HD 5670

Also adding this powersupply:
Corsair Builder Series CX V2 500W 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean by "swap in a spare power supply". I don't have any "spares" only the one that came out of the PC and it was only 300w.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You can test RAM using one of the following programs. Both require you to create and boot to a bootable floppy disk or CD to run the diagnostics. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors.

Windows Memory Diagnostic - see the easy to follow instructions under Quick Start Information,
or
MemTest86+ (for more advanced users) - an excellent how-to guide is available here,
or
Windows 7 users can use the built in Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool.

Alternatively, you could install a single RAM module and try running with that to see if it fails. Repeat process with remaining modules, hopefully identifying the bad stick through a process of elimination.

As for swapping in a spare supply, sorry, I realize that is not something most users have on hand. Certainly, Corsair is a reputable PSU maker - I use Corsair PSUs a lot. The 300W supply is technically capable of supporting your system, if it has the correct connections. So if this problem happens again, you could swap that in, though I might remove one stick of RAM and any extra devices to lessen the load.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I did complete the RAM test. I chose the Windows 7 built in diagnostic tool. It found no errors.

I have not had any more BSODs. It was only that one time. I know in my OP I said I thought it might have happened twice but I am thinking not now, what had happened was it was the first time I'd signed on as administrator since the BSOD and I think it was just telling me what had happened that day for lack of better words. So I'm only counting the one BSOD.

Anything else I can check on my own? I really hope that neither the power supply nor the Radeon HD 5670 fail me. What are your thoughts about that graphics card, the 5670... is it a reliable one? The only games I play are the Sims games, right now just Sims 2, but I have Sims 3 just haven't installed it yet. The 5670 was one of the recommened on their site, that is part why I chose it.

One of the geeks that helped me on my upgrade thread said I might want to increase the RAM "down the road", could that be the problem? It seems fine though, I don't know really what the symptoms would be for insufficient RAM.

The only other issue with this computer is that when I do my backups there are always a couple/few files that it skipped:

The exact error message says:

Windows Backup did not complete successfully. The Backup completed but some files were skipped. Error code: Ox8100002F.

The files it skips are:

Backup skipped backing up D:\Users\Administrator\Music as it is on the backup target.
Backup skipped backing up D:\Users\Administrator\Pictures as it is on the backup target.
Backup skipped backing up D:\Users\Administrator\Videos as it is on the backup target.

Other than that everything else with this PC is fine.

Any other thoughts?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't think there's anything you can do about the BSOD. Some times, they just happen. Call it a fluke or gremlins. If they don't occur often, and especially if the error codes are different, they can be difficult to track down.

As for your backup issue, I see you asked that before with no response. According to Microsoft, it appears you can safely ignore this error.

jen147

jen147

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
Thanks so much Digerati, I really appreciate all the help!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
No problem and you are welcome.