Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows XP Recovery & PHYSICALDRIVE woes [Closed] [Solved] [Closed

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Do you have the windows CD as it looks like we are going to need a repair install

Advertisements

Boomrad

Boomrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Affirmative :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Okey dokey... This will leave your documents and personal files intact. However, you will need to fully update windows again and reinstall any programmes. So ensure that you locate and save any licence data for bought programmes

Admin has created an easy step by step guide here

But I will be on hand to assist and answer any questions you may have

Boomrad

Boomrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alrighty, so i followed the instructions as posted and everything seemed to be hunky dory until I tried to actually set up Windows. Once I select this option from the initial screen, Windows asks which partition I want to set up on and gives the three separate options with various amounts of used and free space. There is never an option to simply repair one of the partitions... Is my system just screwed? I'm really mostly concerned with my music library that I never backed up. If there was a way to extract those into an external and ditch this paperweight, I feel like it would be less hassle... sorry, I'm beginning lose faith. Anything else I can try? Thank you again so much for your continued and speedy assistance, I truly appreciate it.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
When you get to the existing setup does it not show your current windows ?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
User returned

Boomrad

Boomrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Windows will not boot, telling me the file WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM is missing or damaged. The Recovery Console fix failed to work, then we installed xPUD with a blank enum log, and finally attempted a CD repair install. However, instead of showing my current windows in the existing setup and giving me the option to repair an installation, it gives me a list of existing partitions
-:\
C:\
D:\
with various amounts of used and free space and the options to set up XP on an item, create a partition, or delete a partition. When I choose to set up XP on an item, it warns me that all saved files and programs would be deleted, so i opt not too.
Anything I could try next?

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by Boomrad, 07 December 2011 - 02:04 AM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK the option here is to do a parallel install of windows

There are full details here

Start at this point : Method 4: Install Windows XP to a new folder (parallel installation)

This will install windows in a new folder and then allow you to access/transfer all your data to the new windows folder

Boomrad

Boomrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Thanks so much for the guide. It does seem this is the right option... However, I think I may have incorrectly named the new operating system folder when attempting the parallel install. I'm following the steps outlining how to do that properly next. Things are slow coming, and if it gets to be too confusing I'll certainly be asking for your help. Thanks so much for your assistance and I'll let you know how it goes...

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Please do, I am here to assist

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Lets have a look at the net registry items

From normal windows

run farbar service scanner

Posted Image

Tick "All" options.
Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Boomrad

Boomrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok, cool... How would I go about running this program on Windows without the ability to connect to the internet? Like I've mentioned, I can only go online through xPUD. For some reason, the parallel install of Windows does not give me that capability. It simply won't pick up any wireless networks and does not respond when I attach it directly to the modem. Any suggestions?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Using XPUD copy the programme to your windows system

Then boot to windows and run Farbar
Then back to Xpud and post the log from there