Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor always in power save mode

• Please log in to reply

elee23

elee23

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the correct section for this but this is my problem.

My monitor is always in sleep mode.
From the moment i push the power button it is is sleep mode.
If I powe rmy monitor down and turn it back onthe lights are green for a few seconds, the monitor turns on and shows a black screen with "entering power save" in the middle. Then the monitor does back into power save mode and the lights become orange once again.

I am not sure what has happened. My computer was working fine two days ago.

EDIT: It is windows xp and a dell dimension 9200

thank you,
elee23

Edited by elee23, 01 November 2011 - 05:39 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You need to try this monitor on another computer to see if it happens there.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi elee23
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) providing
these details will enable others to better assist you.
Possible causes include the video chip/card and the screen itself, do you
have another another screen you can try, you could also try connecting a
laptop to your present screen if the laptop has a VGA port.

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
If the monitor connection to the computer has a problem, such as the cable falling off, or if the video card on the computer has a problem this can occur. As suggested, either try this monitor on another computer or try another monitor on this computer. You can also try another video cable as cables do actually fail from time to time.

elee23

elee23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
unfortunately, i may not be able to test out the monitor with a different computer soon. I need to find a cable which will work and another computer.

Thank you for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Thank you for adding your computer brand and model to your OP, it helps.
See the Dell Dimension 9200 Power and Diagnostic lights @ http://support.dell....t.htm#wp1056411

I need to find a cable which will work and another computer.

I suggested in post #2
"you could also try connecting a laptop to your present screen if the laptop has a VGA port."
If you do have access to a laptop that has a VGA port, make sure that the PC is off and that
the power cord is removed from the wall socket, disconnect the present screen from the back of
the computer, check the condition of the cable, the pins in the end connection and that the
connection at the rear of the monitor is secure if it is the detachable type (finger tighten only).
Dependent on the brand and model of laptop used you may need to toggle between screens by using
the Fn and one of the F1 to F12 keys or a single function key on the laptop.

elee23

elee23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I do not think that i have a VGA cable so i am unable to connect the monitor to my laptop.

However, I was able to test the monitor with another computer and it worked perfectly. The dvi-d cable used was with the working monitor. Could the cable connected to the non-functioning monitor be the cause of this? I will test the other cable with the non- functioning monitor.

thank you for all the help

EDIT: I did not check the other cable as this monitor acknowledges when the dvi-d cable is pulled out and only goes into power save mode once the cable is plugged in.

2nd EDIT: None of the diagnostic lights pictures matches what is on my monitor. Only the second light is lit up.

Edited by elee23, 03 November 2011 - 06:01 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
In post #6 I suggested that you check the power and diagnostic lights at the attached link, the details of the power light information are as below;
If the power light is steady amber, a device might be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed.
Remove and then reinstall the memory modules (see Installing Memory).
Remove and then reinstall any cards (see Cards).
Remove and then reinstall the graphics card, if applicable (see Cards).
Ensure that all power cables are securely connected to the system board. (see System Board Components).

elee23

elee23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
The power button light is green as usual, but the numbers are lit up. sorry for misunderstanding. I thought it was for the monitor.

thank you for helping.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
No worries, what numbers are lit up please.

Advertisements

elee23

elee23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
numbers 3 and 4

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Ok thanks, one or more of your Ram sticks or slots is causing this, it is also possible that the Ram can be removed, the slot blown out and the Ram replaced securely, below is my canned text on working and cleaning inside your case safely and a link to the Dell instructions;
http://support.dell....s.htm#wp1373260

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan. Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes.
Just a cautionary note, if you do use canned compressed air do not upend the can as it is possible for fluid to be emitted.

elee23

elee23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
I cleaned out all the fans, ram sticks/slots and the video card slot. The lights 3 and 4 are still on and the monitor will not come out of power save mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
How many sticks of Ram do you have? If you have two try one at a time, if still no luck try the other slot/s until all Ram and slots have been tested, you will need to make notes of the results in case you identify a bad slot or Ram stick so that you know which is good and which is bad.

elee23

elee23

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Thank you for the response.
I tried the ram cards one at a time for all 4 slots each but it did not work. Then i tried both in the first two slots and it worked. However, after i pushed the power button, it gave me a screen saying that the amount of system memory had changed. What worries me is that the slots for the ram cards had different colored locking tabs. The color of tabs the cards were in before were both white. Now, one is in a white locking tab slot and one is in a black locking tab slot. What do these mean? I have been searching to find out but I have not had any luck yet.

Edited by elee23, 14 November 2011 - 02:32 AM.