Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe flash player keeps asking to update/download ?

• Please log in to reply

emilia

emilia

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
So i'm trying to view something that requires adobe flash and every second day or so i'll get a message which will appear on the page saying i need to update and/or download the latest version. It's happening frequently and getting quite annoying. I usually use Firefox but it happened more on there and haven't had time to look into it till now, so i started using Explorer again :) but it's still happening on Explorer too. On Firefox the request to update won't even be there, there will just be a blank screen where the video is meant to be playing.
Why is this happening and what i can i do to fix it please ? I am using Windows 7 if that makes any difference at all.

Cheers

Emilia

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi emilia,

Please see the link >>HERE<<. Is that what you are getting?

Using your Internet Explorer browser click on the following link to download the latest version. Then click on the same link below using Firefox and download the latest version. The site will detect your system and provide the download that is needed for whichever browser you are accessing the site with.

Adobe Flash Player 11.0.1.152

Be very care. Before you click on the gold colored button for the download, make sure that you uncheck any other prechecked boxes that are offering software such as McAfee Security Scan Plus or the Free! Google Chrome browser as shown below. You may see that on the download page.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The video should play just fine once Adobe Flash is updated. If you have any questions at all please don't hesitate to ask.

Donna :)

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Donna,

The thing is i am constantly having to update my Adobe and i do uncheck the boxes for the software i don't need before i download. The flash player will work for a couple of days and i'll be able to view anything that needs flash just fine, but after a day for some reason it no longer works and im asked to download the latest version again. It's a pain and i'm not sure what's still causing it. It's as if i'm erasing something in the "caches" when i shutdown my computer, or could it be something in my add-ons ? Either way, it's happening on both Firefox and Explorer. If you have any other ideas i can try i would very much appreciate it.

Cheers

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
emilia,

Go to > Start > Control Panel and click on the Flash Player icon. Once the Flash Player Settings window opens click on the Advanced tab.

Under Updates look to see if the dial button is "checked" next to Install updates automatically when possible (recommended). If not, please click on the dial to choose that option.

That should go ahead and install the updates without you constantly being notified. (silent updating is what I call it)

Let me know if that helps or not.

i do uncheck the boxes for the software i don't need before i download.

:) I sure wish more people would be so observant.

:yes:

Edited by DonnaB, 09 November 2011 - 08:16 PM.

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Donna,

Apologies if this makes me sound ignorant but i'm doing what you tell me Start > Control Panel > but there is no Flash Player icon that i can see ;/ Where else can i go. I tried searching for the program to see if i could do it that way but the only thing that appears is the icon to install flash player. Oh dear. Help. Hope to hear from you again soon.

Many thanks

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi emilia,

That's odd. Should be there if it is installed and the icon should look like this--> Posted Image

Lets see if it displays in Programs and Features:

Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and look to see if the following images are there:

Posted Image

I have the latest version 11 installed as noted above. So if Adobe Flash is installed on your machine the version shown in the box (see below) may not be the same.

To verify that it is installed or not, click on the following link:

About Adobe Flash Player

If the About Adobe Flash Player page displays an empty box, a question mark, or the message "Adobe Flash Player cannot be found," then it is not installed.

If the About Adobe Flash Player page displays a box like the following, let me know what version is displayed.

Posted Image

Edited by DonnaB, 17 November 2011 - 06:33 PM.

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Wow, it's taken me a while to check back here and quite sadly i am still having the same problem with my Flash Player. I did however find the Flash Player(32 bit) in the System and Security section of my Control Panel. I checked in the Advanced tab of my FP like you said and could not find an auto update to check, only - 'Check for updates automatically' and 'Never check for updates', the first option had at least already been ticked. I'm not sure what else i can do. Unfortunately i am still having to update my Flash almost every day now, although i haven't done anything different but my usual surfing. If you have any other suggestions/ideas they'd be much appreciated. Thanks Donna :)

My current versions:

ActiveX 11.1.102.55
Plug-in Version 11.1.102.55

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Emilia,

Do you have a 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

Could you provide me with a screenshot of the popup and attach it to your next post?

How to attach a file:

• Below Fast Reply box click on Use Full Editor button.
  • Scroll down and click on Browse button.
  • Click on Desktop found in left pane.
  • Scroll to find the image saved to Desktop and click on the image.
  • Click the Open button.
  • Click the Attach This File button.
  • Click Add Reply button once you have completed your post and are ready to submit.

:)

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Donna,

My OS is 64bit.
I had to reboot my computer so i could get the flash player to prompt me to update again, i don't know if that helps at all ?
Unfortunately that's all it says in the pop-up i get on the screenshot there. I don't get popups in Firefox though, the video just remains black.

Attached Thumbnails

• adobeerror.png

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
emilia,

Let's try the following:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Programs and Features and search for Adobe Flash Player. Right click on it and choose uninstall.

Reinstall Adobe Flash Player from here--> http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Let me know what happens.

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Donna,

I did what you said and uninstalled FP. I hopped onto Firefox and reinstalled it again from there. Still on Firefox i tested to see if a video clip would run on youtube and it did. I then checked Explorer but the FP pop-up came up again prompting me to install FP. I then restarted my laptop and went back to check if the Flash would still work on Firefox but it seems to have immediately gone back to not working on both browsers. Oh dear. Could it have anything to do with missing drivers mayber ? :wacko:

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
emilia,

Please check to see if IE is 64-bit or not. To do so, click on Start > All Programs. Look for Internet explorer in the list on the Start Menu.

Also, some computers with AOL software installed have been having this problem too! Could you also check to see if there is any AOL software on your computer so we can eliminate that possibility. You may find that in the list of the Start Menu as well.

Let me know and we can go from there.

Thanks!

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hi Donna,

I searched Explorer and a couple of options came up, one with "64 bit" in brackets. I opened that and the flash works straight away, so i will be using that from now on. I checked my Mozilla Firefox as it was the browser i was used to using before all this FP business started ;p but there was no "64 bit" option, how can i do the same thing for Firefox? I also don't have AOL on my system. Phew, one down, one to go - least we're getting somewhere :)

Cheers

emilia

emilia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hrmmm... i found this recent article while searching for a 64bit Firefox :(

/EDIT

So i ended up downloading Firefox Nightly's Windows 64bit version, even if it is just a tester and a bit buggy, but the flash works immediately and i'm no longer prompted to download and update FP on it. I'm happy to give this version a spin, hopefully it isn't too much trouble.

Edited by emilia, 15 January 2012 - 11:30 AM.

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts

I searched Explorer and a couple of options came up, one with "64 bit" in brackets. I opened that and the flash works straight away,

Excellent! That is what I was going to suggest you try.

Could you please report back and let us know how it goes with the 64-bit Firefox? I'm quite sure this will help many others who have encountered this problem.