Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen Resolution- post-PC crash

• Please log in to reply

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
After my PC crashed and had tech reload Windows etc. Now I can't get the screen resolution adjusted right. The display is stretched vertically or is too large/small, text also, can't get it right, how does a person do this? Any help would be appreciated very much. Thanks folks.
Mary Miller email removed

Edited by Artellos, 02 November 2011 - 06:24 AM.
Email Removed

Advertisements

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
What version of windows are you using?

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello Mary,

First off, let me warn you that you should never post your email address on a public forum. It can fall into the hands of spammers and other bad-doers.

On the subject of your issue though, try this;
Edit; Just looked at what forum this is in. *bonks head*
Once I get home I will write up the instructions for Windows Vista/7.

I hope this helps! :)

Regards,
Olrik

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Mary,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Let's see if this will help.

Assuming you have Vista as stated in your profile:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Personalization and choose Display Settings at the bottom. You may have to troubleshoot a bit to get the best resolution for your monitor.

Let me know if this helps. If you need further guidance, please don't hesitate to ask.

Also, it is an unsafe practice to display your Email address on public forums. Once a helper adds a reply to your post you will receive a notification by Email automatically. Spammers will abuse your Email address with the possibility of bombarding you with unwanted advertisements. I have asked for it to be removed by a Mod/Admin.

EDIT: My apologies to ZaRMan and Artellos. Was creating post at your time of posting.

Donna :yes:

Edited by DonnaB, 02 November 2011 - 06:44 AM.

ZaRMan

ZaRMan

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Artellos, I just shared your facepalm moment Posted Image

DonnaB, no worries Posted Image Just a note, if it is Windows 7, it is a simple Right-click on the desktop and hit 'Screen Resolution' and adjust it from there

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
@ ZaRMan:

I cheated. :) Went to her profile to see what she listed as her OS, though not always correct I've found.

if it is Windows 7, it is a simple Right-click on the desktop and hit 'Screen Resolution' and adjust it from there

Correct!

The same shortcut for Vista is Right click on the desktop > Personalization > Display Settings

And for the records:

Win7: Right click desktop > Screen Resolution. Look for What display settings should I choose? and Windows Help and Support will display. Good reading for those who are unaware and want to know more.

:yes:

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

What version of windows are you using?

I think it's Windows Vista
thanks for your time ZaRMan
:)

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've already done that but I'll try again now. :)

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Ok. Let us know if it helps.

To find what OS just click on Start > Computer > and Properties in the list and the OS will be displayed under Windows Edition.

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Ok. Let us know if it helps.

To find what OS just click on Start > Computer > and Properties in the list and the OS will be displayed under Windows Edition.

Thanks, It's Vista. I went from 32 to 16 bit and found one that works, it wants to go back to 32 sometimes so I reset it. I have another problem too, and hesitate to bring it up here, after my pc crashed and modem, I had games that I'd purchased and I can get all of them to reload except one, and it's the one I want. Do you have any ideas?
Anyway, Thanks All of you, Live well and Prosper, Mary

Advertisements

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Mary,

When you reset the resolution make sure to click Apply > OK buttons. That should prevent it from changing.

As for the game that won't load, you may want to start a new thread in our Games forum. Please include which game it is, if you have the disk or purchased online and the specs of your computer. Those specs can be found same place you found the version your OS which is Vista.

We can also find the specs of the computer for you if you provide the make and model of the computer as long as they are the original specs of the computer when purchased. If any hardware has been modified we'll need to know that.

Edited by DonnaB, 04 November 2011 - 05:57 AM.

Rey Galano

Rey Galano

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi i need help to trouble shoot my computer.if im tunred it on you see only one blick upper right side.let me know the answer pls

DonnaB

DonnaB

Miss Congeniality

• GeekU Moderator
  • 8,529 posts
Hi Rey Galano,

Welcome to Geeks to go! :)

Since your problem seems to be a bit different then Mary's I'd like to ask you to start a new thread of your own so we can focus on your problem only.

If you have Windows Vista or Windows 7 Operating System (OS) please start your new thread in the Windows Vista or Windows 7 forum.

If you have the Windows XP Operating System (OS) please start your new thread in the Windows XP™, 2000, 2003, NT forum.

Please explain in detail exactly what is happening. The more you tell us the better we can get an idea of what the problem might be.

Either myself or one of the other dedicated members will come to your rescue.

Thank you,

Donna :yes:

Mary Miller

Mary Miller

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi Mary,

When you reset the resolution make sure to click Apply > OK buttons. That should prevent it from changing.

As for the game that won't load, you may want to start a new thread in our Games forum. Please include which game it is, if you have the disk or purchased online and the specs of your computer. Those specs can be found same place you found the version your OS which is Vista.

We can also find the specs of the computer for you if you provide the make and model of the computer as long as they are the original specs of the computer when purchased. If any hardware has been modified we'll need to know that.

:yes:

Hi Donna B,
Here's the OS info, It's an e-machine and I don't know the model or where to find that:
Windows Vista Home Basic
Processor: AMD Sempron™ Processor LE-1250 2.20 GHz
Memory(RAM): 895 MB
System type: 32-bit Operating System

before I post a new thread in games I'll wait until you can tell me the specs ok? Thanks !!! :)

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Hit the windows key and pause at the same time,a screen will appear click on device manager are there any yellow questions mark next to anything?
If so what are they, and what is the exact make and model of your computer.
Sounds to me like you had someone reformat your machine, and you need the drivers correct.

Edited by rockmilk, 04 November 2011 - 08:37 PM.