Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

malware or virus removal help

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

bayernmunich

bayernmunich

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
hi to all the geeks out there. A friend of mine living in korea got a malware or virus.... she said she lost all her pictures and maybe files because of that malware.... she said she is using utorrent to download movies... she doesnt have any anti-virus and anti-spyware in her pc but i asked her to install malwarebytes and avast.... she said it captured lots of viruses and malwares but still she cant find her pics.... and it likes all her programs/software was gone as well... she actually told me that her skype has gone as well but when i asked her to check it on program files folder she found it.... i know this situation is complicated but can you help me to remove her malware/virus through me??? what i mean is you tell me what she should do do and i will tell her what you told me to do it.... is it possible??? by the way i asked her to download free data recovery software as well but it still didnt find her pics... is her pics really gone or the malware is just hiding it from her to see?? she wants me to asked you guys here and tell her what to do because she find it easier to follow if i will give her the instruction through skype or ym... her pc knowledge is poor and she really find it hard to follow instructions when we are talking about pc... actually when i asked her to download malwarebytes it took 2 hours... i will understand if you think what im asking is impossible... thanks in advance geeks

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi this sounds like a challenge - could you get her to e-mail you the logs as attachments and then post them here ?

Download RogueKiller to your desktop

• Quit all running programs
  • For Vista/Seven, right click -> run as administrator, for XP simply run RogueKiller.exe
  • When prompted, type 6 and validate
  • The RKreport.txt shall be generated next to the executable.
  • If the program is blocked, do not hesitate to try several times. If it really does not work (it could happen), rename it to winlogon.exe
Please post the contents of the RKreport.txt in your next Reply.

THEN

Download OTL to your Desktop
  • Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows are closed and to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users
  • Under the Custom Scan box paste this in
    netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    C:\Windows\assembly\tmp\U\*.* /s
    CREATERESTOREPOINT
  • Click the Quick Scan button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows. OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Post both logs

bayernmunich

bayernmunich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi Essexboy thank you for trying to help us... my friend is so irritated with that malware/virus because she can't open any programs anymore and because of that she decided to restore it to factory default setting.... she knows her pics will be gone but she prefer it that way instead of having no computer to use... im so sorry that i asked this problem and waste your time reading it and then suddenly she will just reset it to factory default.... is it still possible after she restore her pc to default setting that she can still get her pics back just using free data recovery software??? again im so sorry and thank you very much

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Highly unlikely I am afraid as the restore function wipes the drive

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.