Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My new PC

• Please log in to reply

3vangelica

3vangelica

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am building a new PC, I want it mostly for gaming (I will only be using 1 screen) but also for some photo & video editing work. I do want it to last for about 5 years though.
I have a limited budget (I don't want to spend more than £1000 inc OS).

I have almost settled on:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k Quad Core (3.5GHz) 8Mb Cache
M/B: ASUS P8Z68-V LX
RAM: 16Gb Kingston Hyper-X Genesis Dual-DDR3 1600MHz
HDD: 2Tb WD Caviar Green WD20EARX SATA 6Gb/s 64Mb Cache
PSU: Corsair 650w Enthusiast Series TX650 V2-80 Bronze Plus
CLG: Titan Fenrir Evo Extreme Heatpipe CPU Cooler

I'm not so sure about the Graphics Card:

I originally thought I'd go for a Radeon HD6950 because the BIOS can be flashed up to a 6970.
Then I thought, [bleep], I'll pay the extra £50 for a 6970 because I don't want to risk it not working.
Then I heard the nvidea F560 Ti is better than the 6970 then, that two HD6870's in crossfire were better than an HD6970
Now... I don't know where I am or what is best.. Not even sure my theoretical rig is best...

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You will see little if any performance gains with 16Gb compared to 8Gb. The OEM coolers that come with CPUs are perfectly capable, though not as quiet as some after market coolers. Also, using after market coolers violates the terms of the CPU warranties so I recommend you get 8Gb of RAM instead of 16Gb and drop the aftermarket cooler. Then you can afford the nice case you forgot to add to your list!

I don't see a DVD player either, which you will need to install Windows.

Also most people, unless they need multi-language support, don't need Window Ultimate. Professional is just fine. Just make sure you select 64-bit to support all that RAM.

3vangelica

3vangelica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank-you for your very helpful insight, I will make the necessary adjustments to my shopping list. :yes:

I forgot to add that I was going to get an lg 10x blu-ray reader/writer and an nzxt (white) phantom case.

Anybody with any insight into graphics cards would be more than welcome. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I don't keep track of the latest and greatest graphics solutions because they are constantly changing. Instead, I recommend checking out Toms Hardware Best Graphics Card for the Money, October 2011.

3vangelica

3vangelica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank-you :)