Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying To Restore Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

MaybeYouCan

MaybeYouCan

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Alright so my dad inherited a computer-Windows XP. I got it into the house and on and all that, but I can't figure out how to reset it without logging. I don't know the previous username or password, nor does anyone else-so we are kinda lost here. We really don't want to pay for something, and I can download a lot of stuff once I am in, I just need to reset it so I can get in.
I can get to the "Boot Device Menu" by hitting F12, its options are System Setup, Hard Drive Diagnostics, and Boot to Utility Partition. None of which seem to have any option of reset.
Help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello MaybeYouCan.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:yes: :)

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.
  • If you are receiving assistance in any other forum site please let us know as there may be conflicting advice given.

Before we can help you need to provide the following so I can start you in the right direction.
Laptop or Desktop?
  • If a name brand system then what brand, make and model is the system?
  • If custom built then what brand, make and model is the motherboard
  • Total memory installed
  • Total hard drive capacity and free space
  • What steps have you taken so far to resolve the issue

MaybeYouCan

MaybeYouCan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
It is a desktop and Dell. Can't tell you the other two as I have no clue. I have just been playing around seeing if I could find the system restore, but never could.

Edited by MaybeYouCan, 02 November 2011 - 04:53 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dell is the brand name but there should be more info like
Inspirion, Diminsion as a model name and then there should be a model number also.
If you are looking to return the system to a factory like new installation that is different then a system restore.
The steps would be different so if you could just clarify that. A factory restore would format and return the system to the like new installation. All programs and data would be gone if you don't have a current backup. If this is the direction you want to take then we would have to make sure the data you want to save is backed up first.

MaybeYouCan

MaybeYouCan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, I want a factory restore. Sorry for the confusion. Dimension E520 is the only other words I can find on it. There is a sticker on it with numbers and such and two little barcodes. Does the sticker have the model number you are wanting?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Dell Diminsion E520
That is the complete information I needed. :)

OK try the following steps and let me know if this works for you.
Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

MaybeYouCan

MaybeYouCan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
When I did this it went to a black screen asking for a password. I put in the password I set-up for some admin thing when I was playing around with it, and then it said password correct and continue to boot up.
Didn't go to any kind recovery partition.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I see where you stated you pushed F12 but not CRTL + F11

MaybeYouCan

MaybeYouCan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yes, originally I was hitting F12, but I just tried Ctrl & F11 as you said to do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the next option you would need a full version of XP the same version that was originally installed on the system.
Somewhere on the system there should be a sticker with the original version of XP and the reg key on it.
Now the important thing is the disk must be a OEM version and not a Retail version as they will not interchange with the reg key you will have.
From there I can get you the steps to format and do a fresh install. We will need to go to Dell's site to get all the original drivers for the system.
The other option is contacting Dell and purchasing a set of original Recovery disks from them. These normally cost about $30.
I found the exact steps to do a factory restore in the manual for your system. Below I am including a screenshot with the instructions shown.
[attachment=53327:Untitled.jpg]

Bernie Dozier

Bernie Dozier

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You Mike want to try this site

Edited by rshaffer61, 03 November 2011 - 09:45 AM.
Removed 3rd party site

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Bernie Dozier while we appreciate your input please be aware that the site you linked to provided a way to that is not recognized by GTG, According to our Terms of Use....

If you have lost or forgotten your password for logging in to a computer running the Windows XP operating system, there are a few different options:

If you created a password reset disk for Windows XP, you can use that disk to reset the password on your account. For more information on how to create and use password reset disks go to the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer that is not a domain member in Windows XP
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q305478

How to create and use a password reset disk for a computer in a domain in Windows XP
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q306214

If you don't have a password reset disk, the other option is to log on as the Administrator (or to have the person who is the machine's Administrator log on) and change the password for your user account. For information on how to do this go to the following Microsoft article:

How to Log On to Windows XP If You Forget Your Password or Your Password Expires.
http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q321305

If you don't know the Administrator password, and don't have a password reset disk, then you will not be able to log on to Windows XP, and will need to reinstall the operating system and recreate any user accounts.

Due to the fact that we cannot verify the truthfulness of your request, we cannot offer any other help to recover any passwords for any system or software installed on your (or anyone Else's) computer. You may very well be asking for legitimate help in a legitimate situation but we cannot be sure of this. For all we know you could be a child trying to get into a parent's account or worse, someone trying to gain access to information that you have been explicitly denied access to by someone of higher authority.

If you have any problems with this please contact a Moderator or an Admin...

Thanks to Dsenette for the instruction.

Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc.

BIOS or Operating System's passwords are there for the purpose related to Security and Privacy to protect the legitimate owner of a machine. While there are many locations on the Internet that might help you learn about managing passwords for a machine's BIOS or Operating System, we at G2G do not assist in bypassing past a machine's Security and Privacy safeguards.

While such requests are often legitimate, and come from users who experience exactly the kind of problem that you post, we have no way of determining legitimate vs. not legitimate, therefore we do not respond to such requests.

However we can assist Pursuant to the Terms of use guidlines as followed:
"Due to the nature of online help we are not able to verify ownership, and will not be able to help bypass or recover any Windows user passwords, cd keys, license codes, serial numbers, etc. Infringing of intellectual property rights (such as copyright and trademark rights)
"we cssist you with a reinstallation if that is what you wanted."