Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Screen's saturation too low, display driver doesn't adjust

• Please log in to reply

proguers

proguers

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi there!

I was not sure if I posted this under Hardware or Software - Applications, so sorry if it would be best under the latter.

First my system info:

Dell XPS 16 laptop
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670

My problem is fairly simple, my display saturation is way too low. I found it out when I compared this same image on my TVs: while it's supposed to be orange on my laptop it's really faded, yellowish. Then comparing others I noticed that my laptop was alwats lacking color, looking faded.
So I opened photoshop and tried to adjust the image on my laptop to look similar to the same displayed on my TV and I could only manage that by highly increasing the saturation.

So my attempts at fixing this:

First I used the calibration on the control panel but it didn't fixed at all as it only adjusts color.

Knowing it had to do with the display driver, I downloaded the one for my model directly from AMD ATI website but it didn't recognized my built-in monitor (it had saturation control). After contacting them they told me it was a generic driver and that I should download one from Dell's website.

So I did that and the my monitor was recognized perfectly but the display software has no controls for saturation, only color and gamma which doesn't help at all. I contacted Dell but they couldn't help me since my warranty is over. They just told me to reinstall BIOS and display drivers and run Dell Diagnostics which I did to no result, everything was just fine.

So the question is: How can I adjust the saturation if my display driver software doesn't offer me that option?

Edited by proguers, 03 November 2011 - 03:42 PM.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi proguers and welcome.

How is the image getting to the TV? I ask because typically when there are problems with a notebook monitor, my first step is to connect an external monitor to the notebook and see if the same problem appears (or does not appear) on the external monitor too.

proguers

proguers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi proguers and welcome.

How is the image getting to the TV? I ask because typically when there are problems with a notebook monitor, my first step is to connect an external monitor to the notebook and see if the same problem appears (or does not appear) on the external monitor too.

I connected them via HDMI cable and on the TV the image is perfectly normal.

proguers

proguers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Any thoughts?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Sorry, I did not get notice of your reply.

So when you connect the TV directly to you notebook, and use the TV as the notebooks display, it all looks good? If so, the back-lighting on the notebook monitor may be going, or the inverter is weak. That's a guess, but it fits. These can be fixed, typically for less than $200 a most reputable repair shops. Many have a flat rate as it is a common repair for LCD CCFL (fluorescent tube) monitors.

proguers

proguers

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Is there no way at all to adjust these display settings via another software?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Nope. Note if the backlight or the inverter that runs it are failing. They have to be replaced.