Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD intermittently for months

• Please log in to reply

Stang5Liter

Stang5Liter

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Hello,

I have had issues with my laptop for the past 6 months or so with it intermittently crashing when there is a demand on the video graphics card. I slowly updated all of my drivers (2 per day) on the DriverMax website but it did not help my problem. Then soon after that, I updated the software package directly from NVIDIA and it got worse. Surprisingly, update checker by FileHippo suggested that I update to XXX.XX version (NIVIDIA said that file version was not compatible with my setup) and it has been somewhat stable ever since but not solid. So last night I was surfing you tube and here we go again...lockdown! :)

I am finally at my wits end and asking for help. Thanks so much in advance! :yes:

My specs are in my signature.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I generally prefer to use the drivers at the computer makers site, and not directly from the graphics makers site - especially with notebooks, which tend to be proprietary.

Notebooks are notorious for having heat related problems. Their compact nature of having powerful computers in tiny confined spaces does not allow for good ventilation. And the makers desire to make their products unique typically means they use proprietary parts and design, which means opening up the cases to expose the innards for proper cleaning is next to impossible for the "normal" user - unlike a PC where you can remove the side panel and expose expose everything.

I would suggest you remove all covers, the battery and any slide in device to expose all cavities and use a can of compressed dusting gas to blast out any heat-trapping dust.

Monitor your temps and if necessary use a Notebook Cooling Pad w/ext. power supply. I prefer those with their own external power supplies so you don’t put more strain on the notebook, causing it to generate even more heat.