Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Run program from Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

fusebox

fusebox

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Ubuntu 11.10 installed on a boot flash drive and all appears to be successful so far. I am a complete beginner with Ubuntu (but not Windows) and I could use some advice to help me run a program, TestDisk 6.12, from the flash drive to try to recover data from a (Windows) hard drive. The setup is for this sole purpose, although if it works I am likely to become hooked on Ubuntu.

The program has been downloaded and extracted, but I don't know if this means that it has been installed. It doesn't appear anywhere other than in the folder to which it was extracted so far as I can see.

I am using an Administrator account, and my source says that TestDisk must be run with Administrator privileges. I presume this means that it must be elevated privileges and at the command line, with any necessary switches, but with the current version I am just guessing. I am familiar with it in Windows, but don't know my way around in Ubuntu. The source gives the example, which may be out of date for current versions of both program and system, that you must be root to run TestDisk (i.e. sudo testdisk-6.12/linux/testdisk/static). All right, I have substituted the correct version number for the program, this is ubuntu not linux, and the extracted folder that includes testdisk_static is a subfolder in downloads.

Ubuntu works very well for me, but this is over my head. I would be grateful for any guidance on how to actually run the program.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo
Sorry that you have waited 4 days for a reply. This is due to the vast amount of the posts on the site.

It can be done with Ubuntu, using the Try without any change to your computer, so that Ubuntu runs in ram.
Here is HOW.
http://www.howtogeek...ndows-computer/

If however you want a far easier method use Puppy Linux this in your optical drive and recover to your flash drive.
Here is how
http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

NB Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Puppy, Fedora, Mandriva etc. are all LINUX based operating systems

Puppy is easier.
However seeing as you have Ubuntu, see if C drive - which will NOT be shown as C drive on Ubuntu - Computer will open by double clicking.
Posted Image

If so you are lucky and you simply then copy the files you wish to the flash pen, once Ubuntu is running in ram you can take out the flash pen.
Further details are on the link I sent you.

Any problems just post back.

If you can make Puppy on a CD and run with that and then backup to flash drive it is easier.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 November 2011 - 04:32 PM.