Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Visual Basic Help

• Please log in to reply

Crmathe4654

Crmathe4654

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Just a quick question.

I am in a visual basic class online and shot myself in the foot early on in the semester. I joined a group that had someone that was very well versed in computer programming and she offered to take the bulk of our projects leaving myself and another girl with minimal work. Well that worked fine until my luck decided to shine through and she dropped the class. Now I am at a loss when it comes to the coding language and I am playing catch up big time. The book they provide is pretty useless and I was wondering where I could go for better help with the coding for Visual Basic 2010 express. I can create the design and layout of my program and even some basic button functions but as far as the rest is concerned I'm at a loss. The equation I am struggling with is as follows: H+(V*T)-(16.087*T*T) Variable H= an input into a text box labeled TbxInitialHeight, Variable V= an input into a text box labeled TbxInitalVelocity and variable T = V/32.174. This all needs to happen when button BtnMaxHeight is pressed. I thought I had it figured out but when I ran the program it kept telling me that the data in the text boxes couldn't be either converted or ran as a single.
Also for another button function, with these same variables and equation, I need it to keep repeating the equation given while increasing T each time by .001 until the answer of that equation is equal to zero. How do write the code to keep repeating until I get my desired result.

Any and all help that can be provided will be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
Hello Crmathe4654 and welcome to G2G.

I know it's been a very long time, but I might as well ask, do you still need help?

I don't know much VB.NET, but I think that's well within my capability - well the first part anyway. The VB.NET that I do know, was learnt from this website and I would highly recommend it! I'm currently teaching myself C# on there.

Here's what I've written for the first part:

Public Class Form1
    Private Sub btnMaxHeight_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnMaxHeight.Click
        Dim varH As Double = tbInitialHeight.Text
        Dim varV As Double = tbInitialVelocity.Text
        Dim varT As Double = varV / 32.174
        Dim maxHeight As Double
        maxHeight = varH + (varV * varT) - (16.087 * varT * varT)
        MessageBox.Show("The max height reached is: " + maxHeight.ToString())
    End Sub
End Class

Here's how far I've got with the second part:

Public Class Form1
    Dim varH As Double
    Dim varV As Double
    Dim varT As Double
    Dim maxHeight As Double
    Private Sub btnMaxHeight_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnMaxHeight.Click
        Dim maxHeight As Double
        MessageBox.Show("The max height reached is: " + maxHeight.ToString())
    End Sub

Private Sub btnIncrease_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnIncrease.Click
        Dim maxHeight As Double
        Do Until maxHeight = 0
            varT = varT + 0.01
        Loop
        MessageBox.Show("Variable T = " + varT.ToString())
    End Sub
End Class

Ignore the messy code ;) I don't know what values to plug into it that would generate a value of T that makes maxHeight=0, so that code is currently eating 50% of my CPU trying to calculate a value. I'll leave it half an hour or so before having another go at the code, it might find one.

This has next to no error-handling by the way, so don't execute the code with empty textboxes or it'll crash. I don't know if you wanted it to work with negative values or not, so I've let it.

Tom

Edited by tom982, 24 January 2012 - 04:45 AM.

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP
@tom982 - In your code you're not showing best habits. Firstly, you should explicitly define your types, luckily VB does that for you, but a textbox string is not a type double value.

Why are you defining those variables outside of a subroutine though if you never have need for them? :huh:

I would also recommend using a While loop in this case over the Do Until loop. Much easier.

Also instead of doing this:
varT = varT + 0.01

That can be shortened to this:
varT += 0.01

Something like this is more optimized code...
Option Strict On

Public Class Form1

Private varH As Double
    Private varV As Double
    Private varT As Double
    Private maxHeight As Double

Private Sub btnMaxHeight_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnMaxHeight.Click
        If tbInitialHeight.Text = String.Empty Or tbInitialVelocity.Text = String.Empty Then
            MessageBox.Show("Please make sure all inputs have values", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            Exit Sub
        Else
            Try
                varH = CType(tbInitialHeight.Text, Double)
                varV = CType(tbInitialVelocity.Text, Double)
                varT = varV / 32.174
            Catch ex As InvalidCastException
                MessageBox.Show("There was an unknown error with your input values, please make sure they are valid", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
                Exit Sub
            End Try
        End If

maxHeight = varH + (varV * varT) - (16.087 * varT ^ 2)
        MessageBox.Show("The max height reached is: " + maxHeight.ToString(), "Information", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Asterisk)
    End Sub

Private Sub btnIncrease_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnIncrease.Click
        If tbInitialHeight.Text = String.Empty Or tbInitialVelocity.Text = String.Empty Then
            MessageBox.Show("Please make sure all inputs have values", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
            Exit Sub
        Else
            Try
                varH = CType(tbInitialHeight.Text, Double)
                varV = CType(tbInitialVelocity.Text, Double)
                varT = varV / 32.174
            Catch ex As InvalidCastException
                MessageBox.Show("There was an unknown error with your input values, please make sure they are valid", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)
                Exit Sub
            End Try
        End If

While maxHeight < 0
            varT += 0.01
        End While
        MessageBox.Show("Variable T = " + varT.ToString(), "Information", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Asterisk)
    End Sub

End Class

Edited by AceInfinity, 27 January 2012 - 03:39 AM.

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts
As you've probably realised, I'm not all that good with VB. I just wanted to give it a shot as it was an unanswered thread, even my code is better than nothing!

Thanks for the tips :) I've dropped VB and I'm learning C# now, but I'm sure they'll still be useful.

Tom

AceInfinity

AceInfinity

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 34 posts
  • MVP

As you've probably realised, I'm not all that good with VB. I just wanted to give it a shot as it was an unanswered thread, even my code is better than nothing!

Thanks for the tips :) I've dropped VB and I'm learning C# now, but I'm sure they'll still be useful.

Tom

C# will give you a good stepping stone for C++ in the future when you venture off into such a language, or something such as C or Java even. :)

I would agree though, and it was generous of you to take time to post to such an old thread just to help the person out as well!

Cheers!
~Ace

tom982

tom982

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,183 posts

Tom

C# will give you a good stepping stone for C++ in the future when you venture off into such a language, or something such as C or Java even. :)

I would agree though, and it was generous of you to take time to post to such an old thread just to help the person out as well!

Cheers!
~Ace

Yeah, I was told that it's a good one to get started with. Especially because it's part of .NET as well. Hopefully I'll get further with C# than I did with VB - it shouldn't be too hard ;)

Thanks again for the tips, I really appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction, and I'm sure that the OP will appreciate it even more than I do!

Tom