Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP boots and get blue screen in any mode when starts

• Please log in to reply

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
The screen you posted is the first one that comes up when the cd is entered. I pressed enter on that screen and it then goes EULA screen where you press F8 to continue but instead of getting that on this screen it stated it could not find EULA and to restart. It will not let me get to the screen where I can confirm the version of windows and press R for repair.

You are correct, I did go into the recovery console and typed in chkdsk at the command prompt, c:.

If I missed anything please let me know. Again thank you for your help with this.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
I only stepped in on the thread to help while phillpower2 was offline, as he had mentioned on a previous post, my slight involvement, in making a suggestion to him by personal message.

If you do HAVE the screen I posted it is pointless keying ENTER as that is to setup Windows, and you do not have the XP CD. All you have is the recovery console.

You therefore key R to enter the Recovery Console.

Have you done, that and when you did what window were you then presented with.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 November 2011 - 06:49 AM.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
When I pressed R to get into the Recovery Console it goes to a c:\. I tried to run dir on this drive but it gave an error stating "An error occurred during directory enumeration."

And when I ran chkdsk from Recovery Console it stated the following: STOP: c0000139 [Entry Point Not Found]
The procedure entry point NtSerializeBoot could not be located in the dynamic link library ntdll.dll.

A link was posted earlier in this thread for me to get to the following screen and press R, http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/, unless I misunderstood what was conveyed.

Posted Image

Edited by obsidianx, 13 November 2011 - 11:22 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The screen previous to this one - on the link

But of course as pointed out to you, I think, you have ONLY the Recovery Console - therefore you cannot repair windows as that is effectively an install of windows without formatting the drive, in otherwords Windows rebuilds it operating system - however that requires, as I said the XP CD.

Therefore the instruction that applies to YOU is NOT as below, but as phillpower2 said Press R at the first screen for repair using recovery console.

When completed loading files, you will be presented with the following "Windows Setup" screen, and your first option. Select "To set up Windows XP now, press ENTER". DO NOT select Recovery Console.

Posted Image

May I suggest that you try THIS recovery Console and see if you can get a chkdsk on that.
Recovery Console Disc Image
http://www.thecomput...om/files/rc.iso

Here is the ISO burning program
http://sites.google....-console-for-xp

Download the Recovery console from the first link.
Make the CD using the program on the second link. It is an ISO image so you mush burn using this program.

Then boot from that CD

Edited by Macboatmaster, 13 November 2011 - 12:20 PM.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thank you for the link. I used the new recovery cd and was able to run chkdsk and it found one or more errors. After restarting the computer it was able to enter into windows. I'm sorry that I misunderstood some of the directions along the way. Thank you again to everyone for the help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
No worries we understand that computer issues can be very stressful and that sometimes things get overlooked.
Are things running as they should be now?

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Yeah windows started fine. I got this computer from a friend and my mouth almost dropped when I saw that the last time an antivirus scan was run on the computer was 2002 :) I found 2 viruses on it which I got rid of and also got rid of unnecessary programs on it. I minimized the start-up programs and updated windows and other necessary programs. It seems to be doing much better, but it's still almost 10 years old, so it's a bit slower than what I'm used to :yes: Seriously, I'm just happy it is working now and again want to thank everyone for their help on it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 19,993 posts
You are welcome and thanks for the follow up, defrag your HDD once a week and use both Autoruns and TFC regular and you will not go far wrong.

NB: Make sure you keep the AV software up to date also :)

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Microsoft Essentials definitions have been updated. Temp files have been cleaned and hard drive has been defragged. Do you recommend disc defrag in windows or another program? Also which FTC program do you recommend, I have been using ATF? Thanks.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
ATF by Atribune was a great little program, but it is no longer supported by the writer and the download link is dead. - on the Atribune site.

It was not designed for modern browsers and our advice is to use TFC periodically -
and the Delete browsing history on IE or Clear Recent history on Firefox.
On each of these you have a choice what you delete

Defrag in Windows is ideal, click the analyse button first to see if it is needed. There is absolutely no point in defragging if it isays it is not. For instance a 2% fragmentation will be back to 2% as soon as you use the computer next time.

Auslogics defrag is quicker and some people opine that it does a better job.
http://www.auslogics...efrag/download/
We do not recommend any of the other offerings from aulogics.

Really the choice is yours.

Advertisements

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Thanks again Macboatmaster for the information :)

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Do you think since chkdsk found an error and fixed it so windows was able to start up that there could be a possibility of the HD starting to fail? I started up the laptop and it had to run chkdsk as it found an issue.

If so, I just have to find out if the fitness test for this hard drive, IBM travelstar 30GB 4200rpm (ic25n030atcs04-0). I found a fitness test for IBM but I'm not sure if it will work: http://www.tacktech....m?ttid=287#ibm.

The site states certain types of travelstar are not compatible with this diagnostic and I don't know if the one I have is one of them as I'm unsure of the series of the HD. The site states the following:

Note: Currently, the Drive Fitness Test does not support Microdrives, Travelstar 8E, Travelstar 10E, or Travelstar C4K Series hard drives.

Do you know how to check what series a drive belongs to?

Edited by obsidianx, 17 November 2011 - 09:20 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The easiest approach at first is to run a chkdsk /r, that includes an examination for bad sectors. Chkdsk then recovers the data from the bad sector and rewrites it to good sectors. It then marks the sector bad so that data is not rewritten to it.

Contrary to popular belief chkdsk does NOT repair bad sectors. It cannot do so.

A sure sign of a failing disc is when bad sectors are found on a chkdsk run and then the dirty disc bit is set and chkdsk runs automatically on boot.

I have at the moment not time to examine all the thread again, but will do later.

For the time being run a chkdsk /r at the command prompt, that is start, run type cmd, when the window opens type at the C: prompt chkdsk /r Note the space between the chkdsk and the /r.
Agree the message to run on restart.

Then go Control Panel, Admin Tools, event viewer, Application on left pane and scroll to the winlogon entry in the main window. Double click to open that and check that it is the chkdsk results.
On the right hand side below the up/down arrows is a double page symbol, click once that is the copy.
Then on your reply right click and paste.
Your chkdsk results will appear in the reply message.
Do this as soon as the computer reboots.

That Drive Fitness test will run
http://www.hitachigs...port/downloads/
on that drive.

CAUTION a drive fitness test subjects the drive to a certain degree of stress. If your drive is FAILING, it may be better to create a complete image of the drive first, although that in itself is also asking the drive to work hard.

However it is a catch22 situation and there is no easy solution.

My advice - run the chkdsk as posted - confirm if bad sectors. If so take immediate action to do as advised.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I ran chkdsk and here is the log:

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Winlogon
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 11/17/2011
Time: 6:54:25 PM
User: N/A
Computer: CPQ18944199075
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

A disk check has been scheduled.
Windows will now check the disk.
Cleaning up minor inconsistencies on the drive.
Cleaning up 20 unused index entries from index $SII of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 20 unused index entries from index $SDH of file 0x9.
Cleaning up 20 unused security descriptors.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.

29294495 KB total disk space.
11020564 KB in 36139 files.
14884 KB in 3970 indexes.
16 KB in bad sectors.
113319 KB in use by the system.
4096 KB occupied by the log file.
18145712 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
7323623 total allocation units on disk.
4536428 allocation units available on disk.

Internal Info:
e0 04 01 00 b8 9c 00 00 06 bf 00 00 00 00 00 00 ................
47 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 59 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 G.......Y.......
80 e7 87 02 00 00 00 00 20 0b c4 27 00 00 00 00 ........ ..'....
90 5f 94 0d 00 00 00 00 40 c9 d8 7b 02 00 00 00 ._......@..{....
f0 33 8a fa 02 00 00 00 30 bf aa b8 05 00 00 00 .3......0.......
99 9e 36 00 00 00 00 00 f8 38 07 00 2b 8d 00 00 ..6......8..+...
00 00 00 00 00 50 a4 a0 02 00 00 00 82 0f 00 00 .....P..........

Windows has finished checking your disk.
Please wait while your computer restarts.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
You can ignore all of the first block starting with a disk check has been scheduled.
That does not indicate any errors.

However this
16 KB in bad sectors.

which I am sure you have seen does. On that evidence that disk is on its way out. A sector on NTFS the Windows file system - you have most likely is 512 bytes.
There are a 1000 bytes in a kilobyte.
Therefore you have aprox 32 bad sectors.

If you wish to run the check I confirmed on my last post was right for your drive, then that will confirm.

However please pay attention to my cautionary note. That disc may fail at any time.