Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP boots and get blue screen in any mode when starts

• Please log in to reply

obsidianx

obsidianx

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I have an old compaq laptop and when I start it in either normal or safe mode a blue screen comes on for an instant then restarts the computer. Since this is an older computer I do not have the Windows XP cd or a recovery disk. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Start tapping F8 at startup until you get to this screen...

Posted Image

Select Disable automatic restart on system failure and post the error message displayed in the BSOD.

You should contact Compaq about getting a recovery disk.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
It is giving the following error UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME. The laptop is a Presario 2100US. I went to Hp website and could not find a recovery disc available for purchase for this model:

http://h10025.www1.h...uct=375243#N195

There was no driver recovery media section.

I appreciate your help with this.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Wrong link again - Sorry -
Try these links
Performing a System Recovery in Microsoft Windows XP
Support details
» Recovering from software problems
» About performing a system recovery
» Choosing between two system recovery options
» Recovering from the hard disk
» Recovering from recovery discs

Edited by noknojon, 04 November 2011 - 08:04 PM.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Wrong link again - Sorry -
Try these links
Performing a System Recovery in Microsoft Windows XP
Support details
» Recovering from software problems
» About performing a system recovery
» Choosing between two system recovery options
» Recovering from the hard disk
» Recovering from recovery discs

I appreciate the help but I do not have a Windows xp cd so I can't run recovery console. I don't have a recovery disc so I can't do that option. Since I cannot get into the computer I can't create one. So I wasn't sure what option you were suggesting. Please clarify, thanks.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Have you looked on EBay and similar sites for HP Recovery CDs. ??

This is what HP say to do if they are out of stock.

Regards -

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I looked on ebay and did not see one listed. I only saw they had drivers recovery discs. I appreciate any other suggestions you may think of.

Edited by obsidianx, 07 November 2011 - 08:56 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi obsidianx if you have access to a computer that has a disk burner you can make a Recovery Console disk.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

You will need to enter the BIOS on the laptop so that it boots from the CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second - to do this keep tapping the F10 key when you power up on a Compaq computer this should get you into the BIOS, from there navigate through the options until you find the Boot options and change the order to 1: CD/DVD drive and 2: The HDD, save the new settings and then Y to accept the new settings, place the XP Recovery disk in the drive and restart the laptop, follow the on screen instructions.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Hi obsidianx if you have access to a computer that has a disk burner you can make a Recovery Console disk.

Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.

• Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.

You will need to enter the BIOS on the laptop so that it boots from the CD/DVD drive first and the HDD second - to do this keep tapping the F10 key when you power up on a Compaq computer this should get you into the BIOS, from there navigate through the options until you find the Boot options and change the order to 1: CD/DVD drive and 2: The HDD, save the new settings and then Y to accept the new settings, place the XP Recovery disk in the drive and restart the laptop, follow the on screen instructions.

I downloaded the program from a different laptop. Sorry, I just have a quick question. This computer was given to me by a friend and since I have never accessed it I'm not sure if they have ever run windows update to get the newer service packs. I found a sticker on the bottom stating it has windows xp home edition. Do you still want me to make to make the recovery cd for professional sp2 &sp3? Thanks again for your help.

Edited by obsidianx, 08 November 2011 - 11:09 PM.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi obsidianx -
Do you still have any contact with the person that gave you the laptop ?
They will know if it had XP Home or XP Pro installed.

Also are you able to enter Safe Mode in any "stable manner" yet, or is the computer still "shutting down" even in Safe Mode ??

Thank You -

Advertisements

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I asked her but she is not sure of the version installed. I have looked at the specs from Compaq and it keeps showing home edition but it could have always been installed later with professional. It is still shutting down in all safe modes.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
Is there anyway to check which version of Windows XP is installed before Windows is loaded? I'm pretty sure it is Windows XP Home Edition but I'm not sure if any of the service packs were loaded. Does it make a difference if I get the recovery disc for XP Home Edition rather than XP Home Edition SP1, or SP2 &SP3? Thanks.

Edited by obsidianx, 09 November 2011 - 11:30 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Hi obsidianx
Please choose XP Pro, the reason behind this is because you cannot use XP Home to repair XP Pro as it doesn`t have all the features that XP Pro has, the superior XP Pro however will repair the Home version albeit however it will also upgrade it, hope this helps.

obsidianx

obsidianx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I hope you don't mind all the questions. I just wanted to make sure. I have burned the cd and was wondering what commands I should enter in the recovery console? Again thank you for all your help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,748 posts
Please ask as many questions as you feel you need to :) that is why GTG is here.
Have a look at this tutorial provided courtesy of Admin http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/