Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 2003 Shared Fax Service

• Please log in to reply

threadz

threadz

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I've search high and low for any useful information on this service and find very little documentation. The shared fax service is simple to install and create a shared fax "printer" in windows 2003. From my XP workstations I can connect to the shared printer and the local XP fax service detects the shared fax fine. However for some reason when I create a new fax and go through the wizard, it completes all the way through but nothing hits the fax queue. Only when I am logged into the workstation as a domain admin does it send correctly. I have checked permissions on the printer, the folders, the registry, etc... All is good. I've ruled out group policy. It works absolutely perfect for domain admins only, local admins or regular domain users faxes still disappear into thin air. Arghhh! There are no errors, no events generated just missing faxes... Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

threadz

threadz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Alright so I forgot to mention this is the AD controller so for grins I moved it over to a non AD 2003 server and it all works just fine. For future referrence I will not try and share a fax on a 2003 AD controller unless I only intend for Domain Admins to fax... Eeeek! :tazz: