Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU Upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Thermal_0010

Thermal_0010

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, iv recently noticed the demand in cpu usuage for video games, and it looks like my current cpu isint up to snuff. Im currently running an AMD Athlon 64 x2 Black Edition on an ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard. I was really hoping to upgrade to an Intel i7 CPU, but im pretty sure that isint possable without upgraging the motherboard... So my question is, what is the BEST cpu for my motherboard? I really want to keep this comp as a backup for when I do eventually upgrade, but until then I have to make due with what I have. So any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Hi Thermal_0010, Posted Image.

Upgrading the CPU may not be the best option to get better performance.

Please list your full hardware specs and the OS you are using.

One of us will advise you.

Thermal_0010

Thermal_0010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition
GPU: GeForce GTX 260
Motherboard: ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe

Am I missing anything?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts

Am I missing anything?

Posted Image RAM and PSU.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
You cannot install an Intel CPU on a motherboard designed for AMD CPUs. They have different sockets, different chipsets. So if you wanted to go with Intel, then yes, you would need a new motherboard - and most likely a new Windows license too (assuming your current license is an OEM license).

High CPU usage does not mean your CPU does not have enough horsepower, it means something is driving your CPU hard. But you did not tell us how hard. Is it stuck on 100% all the time or what?

Your RAM specs are important to know. Your CPU specs won't have anything to do with your CPU utilization, but since good clean power is critical for stable operation, we always like to check that.

Have you scanned for malware?

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 6,764 posts
Hi.

Do you still require help.