Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU idling at 85 celsius

• Please log in to reply

Luka Patterson

Luka Patterson

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Hello! First post here, one of my friends told me that you guys are great with this kind of thing.
Anyway, it goes a little something like this:
I noticed my computer running unusually high temperatures, so I bought a tube of thermal compound and went to reapply it, I noticed some cracked gray stuff (possibly some old compound, although I don't remember using compound when I built the computer- don't judge me)and I applied the compound over the cracked gray stuff, against my better judgment.

After clearing the computer of dust and switching all fans from medium to high, I return to my desk feeling as though it would improve; it did not, it still idles at 90 σ~5, what can I do? do I need a new CPU/heatsink?

Pic was taken before I applied paste, it's still the same now.

Attached Thumbnails

• wat do.png

Advertisements

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi Luka, Posted Image.

You will need to remove the heat-sink and fan again and clean any gunk from both the top of the CPU and the bottom of of the heat-sink, you must use the correct type of cleaner to remove the thermal interface material, TIM, I always use Isopropyl alcohol purchased from a drug store or chemist. you can also get the correct type of cleaner from a PC hardware shop.

Turn on the PC, run for 1 minute, Turn off the pc. When you start to remove the heat -sink, it should just be slightly warm, take care it is not hot and burn your fingers.

Disconnect from the wall socket. take anti static measures before handling parts by touching the bare unpainted part of the PC case.

Apply the new TIM following the instruction that it cam with.

Let us know what the temps are after doing the work.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
See my canned text on TIM.

Luka Patterson

Luka Patterson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks guys, it's fine now.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Posted Image

Thanks for posting the result.

Keep your eye on those dust bunnies. If you have air filter, inspect on a regular bases and clean if needed.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Even if you don't have an air filter, inspect the interior on a regular basis (I recommend monthly) and clean as necessary.