Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Davva

Davva

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi I have just upgraded my Vista 32 bit to Windows 7 32 Bit a few weeks ago and now I sometimes get BSOD on shutdown - When I check the dump file using Blue Screen Viewer is show mainly "ntkrnlpa.exe+120c6b" as the cause. I have attached a txt file showing this.

Anyone any ideas why or how to fix

Thanks in advance

Davva

Attached File  Dump File.txt   2KB   86 downloads

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi Davva and :)
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP, if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) and any add on card specs, providing these details will enable others to better assist you.
Please check the Device Manager, any items with a yellow ! or red X listed there, it is possible some drivers need to be updated starting with the chipset.

Davva

Davva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hey thanks for the prompt reply.

My PC is a DELL with Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4 GHz with 3 Gig Ram. Nvidia Gforce 8800 GT running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

No issues in Device Manager

Kind regards

Davva

Edited by Davva, 06 November 2011 - 01:33 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Knowing the particular model of Dell would help us finding the correct drivers for you, this is a necessary check as it sometimes happens that a driver is shown to be working ok when in fact it is not, Dell PCs can be very picky about their drivers and that is why you must install them in the correct order or you will get problems, see attached link;
http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true did you install the drivers in the correct order?

Davva

Davva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi my DELL machine is an XPS 420 originally with Vista 32 Bit and all the latest drivers from DELL.

The Vista setup was working fine it was only a few weeks after upgrading to Windows 7 that the problem started.

Davva

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
There are no specific W7 drivers available from Dell so your system is using the equivalent of the previous Vista drivers, see attached link http://support.dell....3&isLegacy=true
The XPS 420 uses the X38 Express Chipset. Intel has an all-in-one installer that covers most of the Intel chipsets. You can start here: http://www.intel.com...b/CS-026488.htm input your OS, etc. You'll end up with a file "infinst_autol.zip" that you can unzip and run setup.exe. After it fails to run the first time, you can use compatability mode and it will install.
XPS 420 drivers http://support.dell....tid=-1&impid=-1

Davva

Davva

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for all your help so far, I will try upgraging my drivers - Whats your view of DriverMax or driver Magician and instead of trying to replace all my drivers which one should I start with?

It will be Monday night before I get chance to do this.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

Whats your view of DriverMax or driver Magician

Under normal circumstances I would recommend DriverMax but not for a Dell machine, stick to drivers obtained from the official Dell download facility.

and instead of trying to replace all my drivers which one should I start with?

The chipset drivers as described in posts 2 - 4 and 6, after the chipset driver update see how the PC behaves, if everything is running normally leave well alone but if not work your way down the Dell download list (in order) checking the PCs performance after each install until things are running normally.

NB: Just a FYI are you aware that you can only download 2 drivers a day for free from DriverMax.