Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 won't boot / BSOD

• Please log in to reply

karkalec

karkalec

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi There. I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1. Yesterday it started freezing and I got a Windows error message about my Nvidia drivers, then a BSOD. Restarted ok after that. This morning when I attempted to start it up it started but on the bootup screen there were little blue dots all over the normally black background on the initial bootup page, and on the next bootup screen little white exclamation marks all over it. Then the bootup froze. I attempted a hard restart and it booted into Startup repair automatically which failed before the screen simply turned grey. How do I go about diagnosing the problem?

Thanks,

Justin

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi karkalec
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP if it is provide the model name or series number (not serial) motherboard , PSU and any add on card providing these details will enable others to better assist you.
Possible causes include video driver or video chip failure, the computer details will tell us more.
If you can start in Safe Mode try uninstalling and then reinstalling the drivers for the graphics card;
http://windows.micro...er-in-safe-mode

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Whoops sorry about the missing information. It's a desktop, Dell XPS 410 with a dual core pentium 2.4 ghz processor. I replaced whatever the stock video card was with an EVG Nvidia 8800 GT about 4-5 years ago. Not sure what the motherboard is. I'll try to reinstall the video drivers in safe mode.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Thank you for the additional details :)
I will wait and see how you get on with the Safe Mode approach before adding anything further, hopefully nothing more than a driver update will be required.

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
So far no luck. I reinstalled display drivers and it still won't startup. I'm getting weird symbols in the background when it boots, then it offers me two options--startup repair (which hasn't helped) and start windows normally. when i select "start windows normally" the screen just goes blank.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did it boot up and display ok in safe mode?

I'm getting weird symbols in the background when it boots, then it offers me two options--startup repair (which hasn't helped) and start windows normally. when i select "start windows normally" the screen just goes blank.

Do you have the W7 installation disk?

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
It did boot normally without any of that strange screen scrambling at all. I do have the Windows 7 install disc. Should I try the repair install option? I did try a system restore back to 10/26 and it didn't change anything.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
When you boot up in safe mode there is very little demand placed on components as only the bare essentials are loaded.
As I said earlier there is more than 1 possible cause so easiest options come first.
Can you boot up in safe mode and run SFC (system file checker) "how to" @ http://www.sevenforu...le-checker.html

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ran it 3 times from command prompt and got "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations" all 3 times. I'm going to try doing it using the install cd (Method 1 on the tutorial you included a link for)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Ok I will look out for an update when you are ready.

Advertisements

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Ok the scan completed using the install cd and found no violations.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Suggests that your OS is ok so time to look elsewhere, below are a couple of things for you to do;

Please Run the PCPitstop.com OverDrive Full Tests

Here's how:

You must use your Internet Explorer for this procedure. (doesn't work so well in Firefox or others). If your machine is running Vista or Windows 7, you must Select IE to “Run as Administrator”. After completing PCPitstop OverDrive you can close your IE browser and re-open it Normally so that you are no longer running as administrator.

Go to: http://www.pcpitstop.com
Click on "Free Computer Check-up" listed below PC Pitstop OverDrive
In the User Login - Click on "Sign up FREE!"
You'll need to submit a valid email address and create your own password, then click - Create Account(button)

Now enter your email address and password to Log in, Select - Scan this system Now!(button)
You will then be asked to download an ActiveX component and allow it to install.
It is safe and does not compromise your privacy.
Follow the on-screen prompts to install the ActiveX and to allow the Full Tests to be run on your machine.

The Full Tests take about 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on most machines.
When complete, a Results - Summary - Recommended Fixes will be displayed.

Please post the URL internet address, from your Results, back here into this Topic Thread so that we can review the configuration and present performance levels of your machine.

Note: During the graphics 2D and graphics 3D testing, your screen will display some rapidly moving objects.
If you are sensitive to visual flashing, it may cause dizziness. Therefore, look away from the screen during that portion of the testing.

After reviewing the results we will be more informed and may be able to provide better recommendations for you to work towards improving your machine's performance.

While PCPitstop does offer a variety of Paid Products, the PCPitstop OverDrive testing is FREE. Please ignore the references to Paid Products. We prefer to provide manual solution instructions that you can apply directly to your machine.
Thanks to rshaffer61 for the above instructions :)

Post the above url for us and then run Speedfan so we can look at your temps and voltages;

Download Speedfan and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.If you are running on a vista machine, please go to where you installed the program and run the program as administrator.

Posted Image
(this is a screenshot from a vista machine)

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Will the computer allow me to do all of those operations (downloads,installations, and running the apps) from safe mode?

karkalec

karkalec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Here's something else weird I noticed--a bunch of typos now appearing in menus I see. "Use!Up/Eown asrows to highlight desired item." for example. Anyway, I'm trying your recommendations from safe mode... Will let you know what happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry about the delay, I am reassembling a laptop and need the diagrams on screen :)
I will wait for your next reply before offering anything further as I may need to ask a member of staff to look at a possible malware problem which may be suggested by the recent typos you describe.