Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stuck after sleep mode

• Please log in to reply

Arwen3000

Arwen3000

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi,

Last month I had a malware infection with my computer, which was cleaned up with the awesome help of someone here at Geeks to Go. While my computer was infected, I noticed that it sometimes refused to wake from sleep mode and I had to shut it down and restart it one or two times during the infection. I assumed this was related to the malware and thought nothing of it. However, the problem has persisted and progressed to the point that on two separate occasions, after having frozen during sleep mode and being manually shut down, my laptop wouldn't restart at all. After waiting about 24 hours, however, I have been able to get it running. Troubling! I have disabled sleep mode (i.e. when I shut the lid it's set to go into hibernate instead) as a sort of stop-gap solution for the time being, but naturally I am a bit perturbed by this problem and would like to investigate it further. What do you think? Is this normal? Is it going to get worse? What should I do?

Thanks!!

Edited by Arwen3000, 05 November 2011 - 08:06 AM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Arwen3000 taken from your profile, HP touchsmart tx2 notebook is this the laptop?
Does the problem occur if you remove the battery and use only the AC adapter, does any part of the laptop get hot?

Arwen3000

Arwen3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi, that's right, it's the HP touchsmart.
I'm not sure if it does the same thing when the battery is out - to be honest I'm a little afraid to try it. I'm afraid to let it go to sleep in case it never wakes up, you know? So, I haven't tried with the battery out.
It does get quite warm around the vents but that has always been a problem with this laptop, as long as I've had it. It no longer overheats like it did when I first got it, though - it runs at a pretty steady temperature now, maybe around 60 - 70 degrees C depending on what I'm doing.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Not much can be done with the battery in place I`m afraid, the battery, AC Adapter or internal dust may all be the cause and the common factor in each is that they all generate heat, try using the laptop with only the AC Adapter in use and the battery removed, let us know the results.

Arwen3000

Arwen3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hey, I tried it without the battery and got the same result.
Just to give you a little more background on this laptop, I did have severe overheating issues from the day I got it. I installed a little program to monitor the temperature because it would get worryingly hot and the temperature would often get as high as 80 - 90 degrees just while I was running a web browser, for example. It would overheat and shut itself down sometimes, too. A month or two ago though, I was reading on some HP forum and a lot of people said they had disabled a utility that had to do with multitouch gestures on the touchscreen - I forget the name - that was eating up the CPU. I disabled it and the laptop has been running nice and cool since then - no more heat-related shutdowns, etc. I also dusted it out with compressed air about three or four weeks ago.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi and thank you for the detailed update, got to ask this but have you tried running the laptop with the battery only (AC adapter disconnected) and if so what happens, is the AC adapter the original supplied by HP?
Heat even over a short period of time weakens other components with laptops especially prone to damage so it is good that you have done some cleaning with compressed air, can I ask did you remove the Ram sticks and blow out the slots when you did this?

Arwen3000

Arwen3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I have tried with only the battery, and same results. It is the original A/C adapter from HP.
I didn't remove the RAM sticks because I was still thinking about using the original warranty that came with it so I didn't want to disturb too much. Now though, I doubt I'll ever send it in under warranty, so I will dust it out again, and more thoroughly this time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
If you are still covered by warranty then I suggest you return it and let HP sort it out, you do after all pay for the warranty to protect you against issues such as this, contact HP customer support for guidance.

Arwen3000

Arwen3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'm only covered by the store's warranty now, and no longer by HP. Do you still think it's worth it? I really need this laptop for school and I'd rather not send it away. I'm also a little wary because last time I sent a laptop away under warranty they didn't fix it, rather, they paid for a new one. That's okay, but I'd rather give a good shot to fixing up a slightly defective laptop than to just trash it and buy a brand new one.
Do you really think there's nothing I can do at home? Could there be any other causes for a refusal to wake from sleep mode besides overheating?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I'm only covered by the store's warranty now, and no longer by HP. Do you still think it's worth it?

Have you checked the information @ http://h10025.www1.h...0727-1&sw_lang=
If nothing at the HP support page helps then I would first try blowing out the Ram slots, second back up all the important data on the HDD then use the warranty you have with the store.
Do you have an operating system disk for the computer or is there a recovery partition on the HDD?