Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

windows root system 32 hal.dll file is missing or corrupt

• Please log in to reply

Jilly77

Jilly77

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi I turned on my laptop today and it came up with this message Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt <windows Root> \system 32\hal.dll.
Please re install copy of the above file.
I have spent hours on the computer and most people suggest downloading a free fix cd, how can i install it when i can't get on my computer. Also I have no discs as the system was on the computer when i bought it.
Please help

Advertisement

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,790 posts
Hi Jilly77 and :) sorry to hear you are having this issue.
If you have access to another computer with a disk burner and a blank disk see the guide below;
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Extra Files.
  • Please copy the codebox below into the text area.

C:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

• The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Your ISO is located on your desktop.
Let us know if this helps or if you require further assistance.

Jilly77

Jilly77

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Thanks for the reply. We have followed the instructions which has created a recovery disc of the laptop which we are using now to type this message. How do we install it on to the other laptop which has just got a black screen and the message on it.

many thsnks

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,790 posts
Hi, you need to change the boot sequence on the problem laptop to 1: CD/DVD drive and 2: The HDD, not all computers use the same key to get into the BIOS some are F2, F8, F12 etc and many use the Del key, see the attached link for further information and guidance http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom
What you are effectively doing is copying the files you need from the optical disk to the hard disk hence the reason the CD/DVD drive needs to boot first.

Jilly77

Jilly77

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I have changed it to read cd then it asked me if i wanted to recover so i said yes now it is asking which windows installation would i like to log onto?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,790 posts
What are the options on screen?

Jilly77

Jilly77

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi It says Windows set up set up is loading files, then it goes through loads of things in brackets. Then it says Welcome to set up this portion of the set up program prepares microsoft ® windows ® xp to run on your computer. To set up windows xp now press enter to repair an windows xp installation using recovery console press R or to quit setup without installing windows xp press f3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,790 posts
Hi, you only need to do a repair so that you do not loose all your data, please follow the tutorial by Admin @
http://www.geekstogo...air-windows-xp/ good luck

Jilly77

Jilly77

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi We have followed the instructions at Window xp setup it says

Set up cannot find the end user licensing agreement (EULA)
Set up cannot continue. To quit press F3

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 14,790 posts
Which particular instructions did you follow please, also what is the storage capacity of the hard drive and was it previously formatted using Fat32, I know these are awkward questions but it would explain the EULA message.

Advertisement