Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to increase hard drive partition

• Please log in to reply

adlb1300

adlb1300

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop running Vista. The computer came with a partitioned hard dive. There was the main drive (c:/) and then the other partition was the recovery. The main drive is low on space so I want to get rid of the recovery drive especially since the computer is older and I no longer would want to return it to factory settings if something happened to it. I would just buy a new one or install Windows 7 or another operation system. Since I do not need it anymore I want to get rid of the recovery drive and add the empty space about 10 gigs to the main drive. I was able to delete the recovery drive but have been unable to add it to the main drive. The 1st problem is I cannot use the built in windows tool for increasing the main drive since the recovery one was to the left of the main instead of the right. I found a 3rd party software to do it but that cannot complete the task since it says there are errors on the main drive that need to be fixed first. Problem is whenever I run check disk at start up. The program starts and then cancels itself without finishing. Any ideas of how to fix the errors on the main drive so I can add the now unallocatted 10 gigs to the main drive.

Thanks

Advertisements

Sharakate

Sharakate

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So you can fix the error follow this tutorial

http://www.comtips.n...on-windows.html

adlb1300

adlb1300

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
The tutorial goes over partitioning but does not explain how to fix the drive errors since check disk cancels itself. Unfortunately the built in tool does not allow me to add the unallocatted space to my main drive since it is to the left of it and the windows tool only allows you to do it if the space is to the right. Unless I am misunderstanding the tutorial. Even if I take the unallocatted space and create a partition with it I still cannot get the space into the one drive no matter what I try since the drive with OS on it is to the right of it.