Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What to buy on black friday?

• Please log in to reply

karinchi

karinchi

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Does anyone know what technology item is going to be on sale on black friday for a good deal?
:/ I mean I want to run into a store and buy something that's worth buying, but then I dont know what I should buy for black friday?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

Does anyone know what technology item is going to be on sale on black friday for a good deal?

Nov 25 - I think - this year.
No doubt someone will post as soon as they become aware.
If you find one PLEASE post it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

and tiger direct...
at the bottom of the page where it says ...
Email Deal Alerts and FREE Catalog

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
Or just sign up at bfads.net and get all the different catalogs.

Elliot

Elliot

Retired Staff

• Expert
  • 3,769 posts

Interestingly enough, there are some notable absences this year, but there are quite a few available.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts

Coincidentally, if I recall correctly I had a hand in helping that site get started by helping host it the second year of its existence.

I also used to work for a local company that understood the day after Thanksgiving as an important shopping day long before the big box stores. Their big draw was putting Christmas cards and wrap 50% off (despite never carrying those products the rest of the year). Next they started shopping all year for deals they could offer. What I remember as the start of "Black Friday" was Wal-mart offering toilet paper at a cheap price (starting 6 AM?). I remember thinking the people who got up that early to buy toilet paper were crazy. Now that I have 2 kids, I understand. :)

I have one, and only one BF experience. Toys R US had a deal on some stuff our daughter wanted for Christmas. Stores were opening at midnight I think. Being a night owl I agreed to go. I thought I had showed up early shortly after 11:00, but the line was already past Toys R Us, the neighboring Office Depot, and WAY around the corner. Plus, it was cold and windy. Due to fire codes and capacity issues it took about 90 minutes to get into the store. I was not dressed for a 90 minute wait. "Luckily" I found the items I wanted. No carts were available, so I carried the large items to the line, which zig-zagged through the ENTIRE store. I found the end, but it appears most others had no moral issue stepping into line from whatever isle they were in. At 5 AM I left that store -- some 6 hours later! Once I got home, I realized I had waited outside frozen, then stood inside in an impossibly long line, and stayed up all night for savings that amounted to less than minimum wage. No thanks. I prefer Cyber-Monday.

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I have a similar experience, but didn't end up walking out of the store with anything. :yes:

A few years ago, right after the Xbox 360 came out (11/22/05), that Best Buy would have some 3 days later on Black Friday. I had one pre-ordered at GameStop, but I was too far down on the list to get one at launch. Anyway, I decided that I would make the venture to Best Buy and see if they had any. I spoke to a manager the night before and he said that he couldn't confirm their availability, but that I should "definitely come back" (wink, wink) in the morning.

So at 3am, I drug myself out of bed, grabbed some coffee and headed to Best Buy. I was probably about the 50th person in line standing there freezing my butt off asking myself if I was insane. :) Around 5am they started going back the line and asking people what they were waiting for and then handing out tickets for that item. I guess so people could then go sit in their cars and not freeze to death. I told him I wanted an Xbox 360 and he told me that he didn't have tickets for that but I should wait anyway.

To make a long story short, there were no Xbox 360's that day and if the manager had been there that morning, I would have beat him with a stick for leading me on.

NomDeKeyz

NomDeKeyz

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Sheesh Spyderturbo 007, that would have made me feisty enough to write a letter to the manager and his superiors, including a receipt for cough syrup or whatever else I might have bought to cope with the cold, and a request for reimbursement (without actually expecting one, of course). I think it's absolutely sick that stores all across the nation encourage people to go out into the cold (weather) during cold (illness) season. I wouldn't give any such store my business on Black Friday, because it clearly demonstrates that they care more about their sales than my existence. Atleast they are giving out tickets now. I remember the pre-ticket tramplings (tho I was never there).

The conclusion that admin came to at the end of his Black Friday experience is the one I came to without participating. Then again, with my very frail health, I am not so inclined to care about cash savings while risking the need for sick days; or worse, hospital bills. I admit to being something of a humbug, as I seem to have a rebellious way of celebrating almost every hallmark holiday. We eat Indian food for Thanksgiving, Chinese for Christmas, no resolution New Year, I don't turn back my clock for daylight savings time, you get the idea... This year we celebrated black friday by wearing black to a Midnight Thanksgiving Dinner, followed by sleeping in, teehee. ^.~

I wish you all warm fuzzy winters and healthy happy holidays!!!!