Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New monitor

• Please log in to reply

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I upgraded my PC earlier this year, and with the new games coming out, and the amount of full HD media i'm getting now, I decided it's time to upgrade my main PC monitor to a full HD resolution (instead of thrust everything HD onto my PS3 and its TV).

Current monitors:
Main: LG Flatron W2252TO 22" 1680x1050 resolution
Secondary: Unknown old 17" LCD 1280x1024 resolution (It's fairly old and I got it from a family friend, but it actually has great images, it's just small)

My PC:
CPU: Intel i5 2500K Overclocked to 4.3GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Video: MSI Radeon HD6950 2GB (2x DVI and 1x HDMI, so either input on the monitor is fine)

So my first question is what companies offer the best quality? I've largely used LG monitors for a while, because they were cheap and I was poor - They were fairly decent but not outstanding. I've been looking at BenQ and Samsung monitors lately, and wouldn't mind a Viewsonic if they're still has good as they used to be (I had an amazing 17" CRT monitor from them back in the day :)).

Some things to take into consideration: I only want to buy from PC Case Gear because the store is close to my house, so I just pick up from the warehouse, and it means i'll get it the same day I order it (and I plan on going home to my parents house ASAP)

I have limited desk space (5 speakers on my desk, as well as 2 monitors.. :yes:) so I don't want to go larger than 24" in size.

AUD$200 is probably my limit.

Besides resolution (obvious) and response time (even though almost all monitors have <8ms which is the important part), what else should I really be looking out for?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,014 posts
Couple for you to consider;
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=16664 2ms response time
http://www.pccasegea...oducts_id=17718 Additional features
I think the BenQ just shades it for me.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I have always liked Samsung and Viewsonic, but Benq has a decent reputation too, but so does LG. Note that while there may be dozens of monitor makers, there are only a few display makers. So there is often little difference in quality of the image. And all brands have some models that are better then their other models.

If you are used to using two monitors and planning to move to just one (even if a large 24"), I think you will soon be disappointed. I don't think I could ever live with just one monitor again, regardless their size.

For years, I ran with a mixed mash of monitors. When I bought my first 17", my old 15" became my secondary monitor. When I bought my first 19", my 17" became my secondary. When I bought my first 22" widescreen, my 19" became my secondary.

Then I realized another problem - though I already knew it, it hit home when I tried to buy another 22" so I would finally have two matching monitors. Monitor makers redesign models almost on a yearly basis. I could not find, except used, a matching monitor.

So I bit the bullet and bought two new matching 22" Samsung widescreens at the same time and have no regrets. Both are at 1680 x 1050. And sitting no more than 24" away from them, BluRay HD content is gorgeous. That said, if I want to watch a movie, I do that on my home theater system with a big screen so others can enjoy the show, and the genuine high fidelity audio too (even the best surround sound computer speakers cannot come close to competing with a half-way decent home theater audio system - and with audio reproduction being my first love in consumer electronics, mine's a bit better than "half-way decent"! :yes: )

Sadly, most monitors and TVs are adjusted at the factory to look good on the showroom floor under bright lights. So while you can compare features and aesthetics at a store, getting an idea of the image quality is hit or miss, and may be a miss once you get it home. I recommend you visit your local retailer, write down the model numbers of those you are interested in, then go home and plug the numbers and the word "review" into your favorite search engine and see what the hardware review sites say.

Do NOT pay too much attention to user reviews. For one, happy people don't complain. For another, users don't have the qualification or equipment to perform a good review. And most importantly, they don't have comparable models for proper side-by-side comparisons.

I scan through user reviews at places like Newegg and look for trends - for example, if many of the reviews report the exact same problem, then I will take that into consideration.

Oh, another thing. I always look for monitors with height adjustment and for some reason they are hard to find. For one, I like to adjust the height of the monitors for proper viewing rather than the height of my chair. That seems like common sense to me so I fail to see why monitor makers don't get it. Also, I have a hutch on my desk and most fixed height 22" and larger monitors will not fit under my hutch.

Finally, if you do, or rather when you do :) get a second monitor, having a wide bezel (the frame around the actual display screen) creates a very wide gap between the displayed image. Many monitors have a very wide bezel, either for looks, or to house controls or even speakers. But there are some monitors that have a thin bezel (my Samsung's are about 1/2 inch) so side-by-side, the gap is pretty small. Just something to think about.