Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

forgot password

• Please log in to reply

edena

edena

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I forgot my administrative password. I want to crash my laptop and basically start over but I dont know how to reset it or what function key to use.

It is a Dell Inspiron 5110 with windows 7.

Advertisements

rockmilk

rockmilk

Certified monkey.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,773 posts
Do you have your os cd?? We cant assist you in removing the password but we can help you reformat your machine if you want.

edena

edena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
No cd

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Factory reset instructions for Dell:

The key combination is CRTL + F11 pushing the keys at the same time at the the dell screen during post. Once you push them then you want to release them.
It should go into the recovery partition so you can do a system restore.

edena

edena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
It keeps going to the windows sign on screen...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you are going to far. It is a timing issue and make take a couple of times before you get to the Recovery Partition. This depends on if the recovery partition is still intact.

edena

edena

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Will keep trying...thank you.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The other option is to contact Dell and see about purchasing a original set of Recovery disks. They normally run about $30 USD depending on the age of the system. They will include not only the original OS but all the drivers and programs that were originally on the system when it left the manufacturer. :)