Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system security 2012, system restore, cant use task manager

• Please log in to reply

Kovathos

Kovathos

• Pip
  • 7 posts
So, im not sure what I did that caused all these virus' to infect my system at any one time and i get the feeling there isnt going to be much that you guys can do here. but, i really dont want to reformate this computer so heres hoping you guys can help.

I was using firefox, nothing special just looking at cbc.ca

firefox closes, computer does odd things, cant use task manager, so i decided to restart.

turn it back on, and i get this system security 2012, and system restore things which i know are virus' i still cant use task manager.

messages are popping up which i know arent true.

so... anything you guys can do?

Would be GREATLY appreciated.

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 24,624 posts
  • MVP
Probably the same as the ones on this page.

http://www.bleepingc...t-security-2011

So see if their procedure works for you.

If that helps, run OTL and come back here:
Download OTL from
http://www.geekstogo...timers-list-it/
and Save it to your desktop.

Run OTL (Vista or Win 7 => right click and Run As Administrator)

select the All option in the Extra Registry group then Run Scan.

You should get two logs. Please copy and paste both of them.

If it doesn't help try Safe Mode with Networking
(Reboot and when you see the maker's logo, hear a beep or it talks about F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until the Safe Mode Menu appears and choose Safe Mode with Networking. Login with your usual login.) Then run OTL as above.

Ron

Kovathos

Kovathos

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
as i was using the computer it kind of restarted itself and was at the windows loading screen except this time had a nice message at the bottom that said to purchase the full version of system security 2012, as well as other stuff, i didnt bother read it. my computer also blue screened.

so after that i just decided to go ahead and reformate the computer, although i REALLY didnt want to :)

ah well.

thank you anyways, i appreciate what you guys do here. awesome work :yes: