Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't connect to Internet

• Please log in to reply

Crystal Zheng

Crystal Zheng

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have dell xp sp3 pro English. My computer couldn't connect to the Internet after I cleaned it. I tried to run cmd, winsock fix and all possible solution. After I did research, the system missing a file (don't remember the name) I have to reinstall the system.
I had xp sp3 pro Chinese and xp sp2 pro English disk . I tried both disks, computer said wrong version. Do I need to buy xp sp3 pro English version or there is a way to use my disk to fix? what's dell operation system CD and dell resource CD? Which one Should I buy? There is so many different CDs in the market, please tell me extactly what should I get for restallation. Thanks

Advertisements

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Howszit Crystal Zheng & Welcome to GtoG...

I doubt if cleaning your system would disable internet access. How does your system connect? Network wire? Dial up modem? WiFi? I would examine all the PCI cards and make sure they are secure in their slots. You can look in the device manager in the system control panel and make sure there are no question marks or un-identified devices. It sounds more like the device you use to get to the internet has come loose or didn't survive the clean operation...Posted Image

How this helps...

Crystal Zheng

Crystal Zheng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I used wired to connect my desktop. The virus cleaner deleted a file related to Internet access. There is no question mark under device. I just forgot the name of the file I missing but it's .dll many people said reinstall the system or get cd that come with the computer will fix the problem. But I don't kno which cd should I get

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Ok, if you use a wire then you're not WiFi..

Go to Start, then control panel and then the network connections. See what connections are there and if they are active. Sometimes the Local Connection gets set to disabled. Again, a missing dll would give you an error message when attempting to use the device. If you are simply not connecting with no error messages and have re-installed your system, all "missing" dll's would have been put back in place. I would also check CMOS to be sure your motherboard's network hardware is active, (it may be disabled there as well)..

Good luck..

Crystal Zheng

Crystal Zheng

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help Mark D. Computer wont automatically coonect to internet, i had to manually start the device. After the device started, internet icon show connected but still cant access the internet. There was an error and it asked me to insert the CD. I want to re-install the computer to stay away those troubles. Can you tell me which CD should I use, xp pro sp3 english, dell operation system CD, dell resource CD?

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
If your system shows a connected status but you can't get to the internet, check the TCP/IP settings in the properties of the network connection. Most systems will be automatically be addressed by the router, but sometimes the DHCP addressing fails. Check those settings and what your gateway address is. If these values are incorrect, then your system will indicate its connected, but you will not have access to the internet. You can set them manually to the correct ones.

You can also check your TCP/IP settings by going to the command prompt and typing IPCONFIG . You can attempt to reset the TCP/IP by 1st typing IPCONFIG /Release and pressing enter, then typing IPCONFIG /Renew and pressing enter

I use manual TCP/IP addressing for clients that have systems that need local area connection for file sharing and such but there is no need for the internet for employees to check FaceBook and watch videos while on the job...Posted Image