Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Blank screen before windows loads - no reaction to any F button

• Please log in to reply

Pam Bevan

Pam Bevan

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a HP Pavillion Dv6, which is on Vista home SP1. About 2 years old.

When I turn it on I hear the fan working but no lights on the CPU. I have tried all function buttons but there is no reaction. Even Trying to force shut down with the power button doesn't work and only removing all power sources will shut it down.

Symptom progressions is :
1. I was starting the computer on battery but it died during start up at the HP logo screen (before windows loads). I know this is really bad. At this stage when I turned it on, computer would get stuck at the HP logo, and no function buttons would work, so I could not start in safe more or go to recovery disk.
2. I tried disconnecting power and battery and holding the power button to decharge but that didn't work.
3. Since I didn't know what else to do, I called HP customer service. They had me remove the RAM and Bios battery. After replacing it, now, I don't even get to the HP logo screen, just a black screen with no options.

HP customer service says by removing the RAM and battery, it just makes the problem more apparent. It is probably a motherboard problem and I will have to replace the motherboard. I hope there are some other solution I have not tried before going to that expensive option.

Any advice that can be provided would be much appreciated. And if this is not the correct forum, please let me know and I can switch to the right one.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisements

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hello, and welcome to Geeks to go !

That seems to be an on going issue with that model#. The fact you're not getting lights strongly indicates a hardware / motherboard issue.

I did find this information below, you might want to research that information and see if it applies to you,

Your Notbeook may be one of them in which there is a hardware issue discovered and if it is, you can get the Notebook fixed for free. Get the Product Number of the Notebook which can be obtained from the bottom of the Notebook which is indicated by P/N and try to search it from HP support. If the Product Number of your Notebook is listed in the link above and if it is purchased in US, you can.

see link

http://flipvideocamc...s-64805373.html

Edited by zep516, 07 November 2011 - 07:55 AM.

Pam Bevan

Pam Bevan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Unfortunately, that didn't apply to mine. Is there any other known operations to try before I start dismantling my HP for parts?

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
I don't know of any. If you're using a Vista or Win 7 computer to make these current posts you can make a repair disc from that computer and insert it into the hp and try booting from it and choosing repair. If the CD ROM even opens.

I did some Google searching on these key words HP Pavillion Dv6 blank screen issues and as I said it appears to be an issue with that unit, I did not see any solutions.

Other techs may reply to you also with some ideas too.