Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Corrupted services

• Please log in to reply

totallyfrustrated

totallyfrustrated

• Pip
  • 1 posts
After running defrag I am having following symptoms: most of the automatic services don't start and I can't start them manually, only 20 services start automatically, I can't access services properties, the pane with the Extended Services only shows a blue square in the upper left corner, System Restore doesn't work and I can't get it started - "System Restore is not able to protect your computer" I tried all the possible ways to get it to work. My Internet doesn't work, Firewall doesn't work, printing doesn't work, Windows Explorer works but I can't copy and paste (paste is greyed out), the Search function doesn't work, my e-mail works only in the receiving direction - I can't send anything out, some programs work, some don't. I uploaded the Recovery Console from my XP CD and it works fine - I disabled Trend Micro antivirus services to see if it's not a culprit, nothing. I can use RUN command. I pulled my hard drive out and checked it for viruses with Trend Micro and AGV - no viruses, I ran CHKDSK - nothing wrong. When I use my old Windows XP CD it gives me an error message saying that my OS is more recent (SP3) so the XP Setup will not start. I think some system file or registry got corrupted during defrag. Can someone tell from above symptoms which file I need to expand from the XP CD using Recovery Console? With my hard drive hooked-up to the other computer I can also manually swap files in WINNT directory and could use files from all the downloaded updates to OS instead of the old files from the CD. The only problem is I don't know which ones I need.
Thank you

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 531 posts

I pulled my hard drive out and checked it for viruses with Trend Micro and AGV

?? Can you please explain why you pulled your HDD out to check for viruses ??
If you removed your HDD then you could cause more problems if you do not know what you are looking for.....

Did you run chkdsk /r to try and repair any problems ?? Do you have a Windows XP CD at all ??

Please list Make and Model of computer and remove all extras like printer etc.