Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Problems Setting Up A Wireless Network

• Please log in to reply

zakfox1986

zakfox1986

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Greetings! I'm a newbie to this forum so I hope you guys and gals will be patient with me.

I recently purchased a Broadband Wireless router, this one to be exact. What I didn't realise was that this was not what I needed. I am wanting to use it for sharing files and sharing a dial up connection at home. I know, I must be crazy to buy a BROADBAND router to share a wireless connection, but it just didn't hit me that there was a difference in types of routers - I just didn't think it through. But, to my relief, someone told me I could get this to work, though.

I've tried to use the software that came with the router, but, of course, it was design to set up the router for a BROADBAND connection. So it looks like I'll have to bypass that software and just do it on my own.

I was wondering if some one could either refer me to a link that would tell me how to do this, or give me some steps on how to do this. I'm in relative sad shape compared to most of you when it comes to hardware, so I'm not really sure what other information to give you, so If I leave something out, just let me know.

Here's a few fact you might like to know:

I'm trying to network 3 computers; one laptop, 2 PC's. All running XP.

The 2 PC's will be using cables to connect to the router and the laptop will be the only wireless device in the network.

I hope I've provided a decent amount of information but if not just let me know.

Thanks a ton for your help (in advance),

Zak.

Advertisements

lordssb

lordssb

• Pip
  • 2 posts
by just connecting them to the router in the #1, #2 slots and connecting the laptop to the router via software that came with the router, you can share files and printers etc as far as I know

as far as sharing the internet with all of them, I think but am not sure, that once you get the internet up and going on one system, you can somehow bridge the connection to the rest but ive never attempted that with dial up it may be different.

zakfox1986

zakfox1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, the software was pretty much forcing me to set up the broadband side of things to be able to finish the installation. So any other ideas?

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Let me get this straight... You have a broadband router and you want to share a dialup connection? I don't know if you are able to do this. You probably have to exchange the router for a DSL/Dialup one? Not sure if there's a such thing, but I know that DSL routers have a plug for a phone cord in them and that sounds to me like the solution. Exactly how do you have this all setup? Phone coming to modem in your pc then you want to share the internet connection through the router that's plugged into your network card on the same pc? I am not 100% sure, but I don't believe you can enable Internet Connection Sharing on a computer then share it with a router, maybe a switch.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

zakfox1986

zakfox1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Mmmm...thanks for your response. Yeah, I was hoping to have one computer that had the phone line coming in to the phone line jack of the computer, and connect to the internet on that computer and then share that connection with the other two computers.

So it may not be possible? Before I take this back to exchange it, do you (or anyone) have any ideas as to how it might possibly be done? Again, I really appreciate you guys help, a lot!

Looking forward to y'alls response. Thanks.

Zak!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
I'm sure you could share it if you used a crossover cable and just attached one computer directly from nic to nic, but to hook up many computers I think you can hook up a switch but i'm not sure about a router. The reason is because when you enable ICS the other computer will now be receiving an IP from your main computer, now if you hook a router to that instead of a computer it is not going to ask the computer for an address, because it is a router and it gives out addresses. You may be able to turn off the DHCP on the router and use it as a switch. Now a switch just connects all the computers, but does not hand out addresses. Either way you will have to get another piece of hardware. Why not just exchange it where you bought it for the correct equipment. Even so, there may be some ideas filter in here on how to do this. Good luck :tazz:

I just thought of something, try configuring the router so it is just an access point, maybe then the other computers can access that then travel through your main computer that you enable Internet Connection Sharing on. Maybe.

Actually, I just remembered that an access point is for wireless connections, so "IF" it does work it will only be for wireless. You can put multiple nic's in your pc and use it as a router. ;)

-=jonnyrotten=- ;)

zakfox1986

zakfox1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Initial Response: Whew. What have I gotten myself into. :tazz:

Thanks a ton for taking so much time to type that out, I really appreciate it.

So my big question, is it possible to do this with another piece of equipment or not?

If so what could do this? I understand that the access point could do this, but you said it would only do the wireless part. I'd rather just stick with my two wired cards and one wireless card - to save money. If there's not a way to mix the two, is there a wired way of connecting all three computers and sharing a dial up connection?

Again, thanks for your help!

Zak!

-=jonnyrotten=-

-=jonnyrotten=-

Member 2k

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
This is what I would do to make things easy. Exchange the router for a router that has a phone jack on it also. Now setup the router with all computers plugged into it with ethernet cables and whatever ones wireless you so choose. That's it. Pretty easy, no need to share through your computer at all.

-=jonnyrotten=- :tazz:

Greazy

Greazy

IT Professional

• PipPipPip
  • 277 posts
Actually, if you are using a normal residential type router, (i.e.-Linksys, DLink, Netgear, etc.) Then there is a switch built in. That is all you need. If you want, you can even have the device assign the internal ip addresses. Layout would be as follows:

Phone line connecting from wall jack, directly into computer modem. On same machine, there should be a NIC. Using a standard patch cable, connect that ethernet port to a port on the switch part of the router (one not labeled WAN, or Uplink). Set the properties on the ethernet card to "Obtain address automatically" since the router defaults to DHCP.
1. On that first computer, click Start>Run, and type cmd
2. Then at the command prompt, type ipconfig
If you are obtaining a DHCP address, it will show you:
IP Address: 192.168.0.100 (or something similar)
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1

If this is the case, we will want to statically enter the following information into the ethernet adapter properties.

IP Address: 192.168.0.100
DO NOT ENTER A DEFAULT GATEWAY!

DNS Servers are unimportant for what we are doing so don't worry about them either. Click OK.

In Control Panel, there is a Network Connections icon, open it, inside should be the connection for your dial up connection as well, right-click that connection and go to the advanced tab at the top. There are a couple check boxes in there, one says, "Allow other network users to connect using this computer's internet connection" Check that box.

Using a second standard patch cable, connect the second desktop to another port that is on the switch portion of the router.
On both the second desktop and the laptop, enter the network adapter's property page, (laptop would be a wireless network adapter, still same procedure). Enter in the following information for each:

Desktop:
Ip Address: 192.168.0.101
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.100

Laptop:
Ip Address: 192.168.0.102
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.100

Again, DNS is unimportant for this, click ok.

Now your network should be working. When your dial-up connection is connected, all three computers should be able to access the internet.

Hope this helps. It looks like a lot of work, but it should work.

Please post back on results.

Greazy Mcgeezy

zakfox1986

zakfox1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay guys, thanks! I will hopefully be able to try it later today, and can't wait to see the results. I will let you know how it goes!

Thanks again, very much!

Zak!

zakfox1986

zakfox1986

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Okay, gang. I think I'm getting some where now. Thanks to you guy's patience.

Okay, I was able to get my laptop to allow me to check my email and send email.

I then checked my internet and it didn't work, it just acted as though it just wasn't connected. I then went to my internet options in IE and tryed some minor changes (related to ICS) and that didn't work - I then changed them back to the best of my knowledge the way they were.

I then retryed the email and then that didn't work. Any ideas? I know this must be novice stuff but I really need help and I don't really know anyone in the area who can come by and figure this out. So if you guys can offer more ideas, I'm really grateful!

Zak!