Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp problem BOOT DISK PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hello all i installed windows xp restore disk with service pack 3... and everything went well up until i got this message (installation failed:D:\1386\asms. Error Message: Access is denied........... S i tried again but this time i reinstalled the disk and the laptop keeps restarting over and over keeps given me the same error message HELP PLEASE!

SYSTEM INFO.

Gateway 4535GZ LAPTOP - Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz - 15" TFT specifications

Platform Technology Intel Centrino

Processor Intel Pentium M 735 / 1.7 GHz

Chipset Type Intel 855GM RAM Installed Size 512.0 MB / 2.0 GB (max)

Technology DDR SDRAM - 333.0 MHz

Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin

Hard Drive 100.0 GB

Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 2.0

Edited by vexxer07, 07 November 2011 - 01:22 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Welcome to GeekstoGo

It is either a fingermarked, scratched CD it only has to be a tiny surface scratch or a bad CD drive.
More than likely a faulty CD
Try cleaning it first, with a SOFT moist cloth, only very slightly moist, allow to dry for a couple of seconds and try again.

If still no good, and you have a CD burner, try copying the CD to a blank CD write disc., you may be lucky.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
vexxer07

On the 7 Nov., you joined GeekstoGo and posted this problem.
I posted advice on 8 Nov and you have never responded.

Please do not start threads and then just leave the issue.

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

vexxer07

On the 7 Nov., you joined GeekstoGo and posted this problem.
I posted advice on 8 Nov and you have never responded.

Please do not start threads and then just leave the issue.

Sorry Macboatmaster.. Wont happen again.. i tried what you told me but i didnt work.. this is what happened i started to install windows 7 and i started to get restart over and over so i went ahead and downgraded to windows xp dame thing keeps restarting over and over the first disk is oem windows 7 and the second disk is oem xp.. but i dont know if i have to buy another hard drive better and try to reinstall windows ? can you help me out please i promise it wont happen again...

SYSTEM INFO.

Gateway 4535GZ LAPTOP - Pentium M 735 1.7 GHz - 15" TFT specifications

Platform Technology Intel Centrino

Processor Intel Pentium M 735 / 1.7 GHz

Chipset Type Intel 855GM RAM Installed Size 512.0 MB / 2.0 GB (max)

Technology DDR SDRAM - 333.0 MHz

Form Factor SO DIMM 200-pin

Hard Drive 100.0 GB

Graphics Processor / Vendor Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 2.0

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
See this link please.
http://windows.micro...em-requirements

The minimum, and it is the minimum requirement for Windows 7 32 bit is 1Gb of ram.
2Gb in a 64 bit windows.

On the right hand side of the page on that link is another link to scan your system for compatability, but of course, you may not be able to do that.

You have 512Mb of ram

Installed Size 512.0 MB

so it is never going to run Windows 7.

Could you please confirm, before we start to try and establish the problem, that you have NOW formatted the drive and started afresh with an install of XP.

Also is the XP CD disc you are using - the one for this Gateway, as if it is an OEM restore disc from another computer it will very likely not work.

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

See this link please.
http://windows.micro...em-requirements

The minimum, and it is the minimum requirement for Windows 7 32 bit is 1Gb of ram.
2Gb in a 64 bit windows.

On the right hand side of the page on that link is another link to scan your system for compatability, but of course, you may not be able to do that.

You have 512Mb of ram

Installed Size 512.0 MB

so it is never going to run Windows 7.

Could you please confirm, before we start to try and establish the problem, that you have NOW formatted the drive and started afresh with an install of XP.

Also is the XP CD disc you are using - the one for this Gateway, as if it is an OEM restore disc from another computer it will very likely not work.

The disk is actually from a dell laptop... the one for windows xp

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
There is no need to quote all of my post, unless you wish to highlight a particular point.

Do not be upset by this PLEASE but this site does not support the unlicensed use of software.
If that disc is from a Dell computer then there are two points I need to make to you.

1, It is unlikely to run on this computer. OEM discs are NOT the same as a Microsoft XP disc you buy with a one user licence that will, generally install on any computer.
Many OEM discs, are made inclusive of software that require the disc to see the hardware it expects to see.
In otherwords a Dell disc may expect to see a Dell hardware setup.
However if the drive is completely formatted it MAY install

HOWEVER far more importantly and from GeeksToGo Terms of Use, we do NOT as I said support the unlicensed use of software and if that Dell disc is in use on a Dell computer or indeed any other computer you cannot install it on this computer. That is a contravention of the conditions.

Therefore it is doubtful if I can offer further advice, other than to ask and I have not checked - did the computer not have a restore partition - to revert to original condition.
I am willing to help on this aspect - if you do not know.
User guide
Page 70
http://support.gatew...GZ/4096ul.shtml

Pls note I have not downloaded it.

Also see this, I decided to find it for you
http://support.gatew...MLXPH1asi.shtml
System recovery from hard drive.
If that is the original drive and the computer has never had a COMPLETE format of the hard drive the recovery partition will stilll be there.

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for all your help.. can i ask you 1 more thing... How can i Delete Hidden Recovery Partition on becuase i have another computer that i installed windows 7 not as an upgrade but as a full installed deletin all my files vids pics and music... but for some reason it shows that i have left 13.gb out of 93gb on my hard drive??

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Go to Control Panel, Administrative tools, Computer Management and Disk Management
What is shown please for the drive in question.

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
it shows 15 available from 93 on the hard drive

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
What is shown for the drive not as free space but in the window below

Pls see screenshot.

It is Vista but the principle is the same.

HDD C.
in the lower window 0 is one disk with three partitions
Yours will NOT be the same as this is a dual boot with Ubuintu

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok let me check

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
vexxer07

It is now two days since you were checking - have you a result please

vexxer07

vexxer07

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I just got frustrated with my laptop i just went and bought another hard drive.. and re installed windows.. i havent checked in because ive been working graveyard shift at work and i been very tired lately but yeah i solved it by installing another hard drive thank you.. for all your help and patience with me.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Thanks for posting back.
We appreciate that.
Pleased you sorted it, even if at the expense of the new HDD