Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Norton 2005 'Setup Error' SW & IS

• Please log in to reply

JordanSinister

JordanSinister

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is a problem that I have had before and only been able to cure by reformatting my HD and reinstalling Windows XP. So, after that, I installed Norton 2005 (Systemworks and Internet Security, not GoBack or Ghost) and everything was working perfectly until I installed a program for my iRiver digital music player called iRiver Audio Database. I know that the iRiver program is not the exact issue because this same problem occured after I installed another program from a previous complete reformat and reinstallation.

What happened was that suddenly my Symantec programs would not load on startup and AntiVirus and Internet Security could not be opened, nor uninstalled with Add/Remove Programs. Also, my Windows Search-For Files and Folders... would not open...and I have no idea why or how that is related, but it happened both times. I have followed every Symantec solution available on their website and I was able to uninstall my Symantec products using a program of theirs. I went to reinstall and got this error for both Systemworks and Internet Security:

"Setup Error: Norton [***] 2005 installation has failed. Do you want to try again?" and then upon Cancel "The installation encountered an error and is unable to continue."

I went through my Windows Registry and deleted everything with "Symantec" and "Norton" in it, but with no difference. I was not able to delete any "Legacy" entries. Also, the Search will still not open.

So, what is with these crazy problems and unspecific errors? Symantec has no solution for me. I really don't want to completely reinstall everything again because I know this will keep happening until I find out why.

Thanks for your help!

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,591 posts
this requires a minor regesitry edit to reset permissions on a reg key:

open regedit

go to hkey_local_machine, system, current control set, enum and then root. right click on root and select permissions. add your login identity in the top windows. with it selected in the bottom windows make sure full control is selected under the "allow" collum.

it you are running xp home then you might have to run this in safe mode.

after a reboot you should be able to reinstall norton successfully.

JordanSinister

JordanSinister

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your reply. I did everything you said and I still got the same error. Also, I did a repair on Windows by booting with my XP Pro CD and fixed some other minor problems like the Search... thing. But that didn't affect my Norton problem. BTW, I am continuously checking my system with Ad-Aware and Ewido, and I am doing fine by them. So, I still have no idea for a solution. This is crazy. Why do I always get the problems that nothing but a reformat can solve? Arg.