Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Restore virus

• Please log in to reply

PeachesCA

PeachesCA

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Hi contracted the Windows Restore virus last night. I rebooted in safe mode, ran Mbam and removed files. After 20 minutes it seemed to work fine. When I shut down and restarted my laptop when I got to work, same thing happened as last night, although it appeared infected even when I started in safe mode.

Just from reading online I've run a bunch of programs--Malwarebytes (it removed 8 files last night), TDSSkiller, HJT. I went through and removed files manually and removed some in regedit, as well. IE is still redirecting, It appears it is still infected even in Safe Mode. HJT would not run due to it not being able to write to the hosts file. Malwarebytes does not find anything now.

I'm missing icons on my desktop and there is nothing under the start menu. After several hours spent on this today, I'm fairly frustrated.

Help please :)

Advertisements

PeachesCA

PeachesCA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Update: I was able to figure out how to get the start menu items back. Those are ok now. In the system tray, there are a few running items that I know are part of this malware. But when I go into processes, it is not listed, or at least I can't figure out what it is. One shows "system error" underneath, the other shows "system restore" under it.

PeachesCA

PeachesCA

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
Just when I thought all was ok, I tried uninstalling old versions of Java and I got hit again...Just rebooted into safemode and ran MBAM and got rid of 9 items. Rebooted into normal and the start menu items are missing again, as well as my pinned items to my taskbar. Ugh...Kinda getting tired of this.