Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Power On

• Please log in to reply

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello all. I have a machine i built myself about seven years ago. I upgraded the Mobo and PSU about 2 years ago and just bought a new video card and hard drive a few weeks ago because my old ones went bad. Today while browsing the internet my computer shut off randomely and when i press the power button nothing happens. If i take out all the cables and just have the PSU plugged into the wall the PSU turns on..I tried using my old PSU and same problem. The light is on the mobo. Any suggestions on what i could try to fix it? Does this sound like a clear harware failure? Thanks for any help in advance.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Hi xkillmequickx
What is the brand, model name or series (not serial) number including any revision number (rev 1.0 for example).
If the MB has an integrated video chip try removing the add on video card and using the integrated video, if no integrated video chip try removing the add on card and powering up, if no change reseat the add on card and remove all but one stick of Ram, again try powering up, if still no change try swapping Ram sticks until all sticks and Dimm slots have been tried.
Good luck, let us know how you get or if you require further assistance.

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The Mobo is a DFI lanparty dk 950fx. There is no integrated video and i tried removing all ram but one(and putting it in different slots as well as removing the video card and hard drive but still when i press the power button i sometimes get one flicker of light but nothing else happens.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
Couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a barebones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card, 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen and check for stray screws or bared wires in case there is a short circuit.

NB: I couldn`t find any information on you MB so if you do the barebones set-up check if there is a power switch on the MB and shorting the 2 pins to activate the PSU may not necessary.
http://www.dfi.com.t...950fx&B1=Search

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Am i supposed to be leaving the CPU and CPU fan cooler in as well?

And sorry I was a little busy and wrote down the wrong model number. It is the DFI lanparty dk 790fx.

http://www.dfi.com.t...tBiosItemId=524

Edited by xkillmequickx, 08 November 2011 - 04:59 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

Am i supposed to be leaving the CPU and CPU fan cooler in as well?

Yes + make sure that the CPU fan is connected to the header on the MB.

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sorry for the double post but i first tried to start it with the CPU in and it did not work. I left everything else the same and took the CPU out and the PSU came on giving power to the video card but i did not get to the BIOS. Then I tried moving the RAM stick around and also tried using the others. Same result. Next I tried using a spare video card and got the same result. So I'm thinking this is either the MOBO or CPU?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts

left everything else the same and took the CPU out and the PSU came on giving power to the video card but i did not get to the BIOS

You will not get any type of display with the CPU removed, be sure to reapply fresh TIM before you reseat the processor, see the tutorial courtesy of Digerati @ http://www.geekstogo...rface-material/

So I'm thinking this is either the MOBO or CPU?

Possibly the 12V ATX socket on the MB, this is what powers the CPU, these can be either 4 or 8 pin connections and the wires yellow and black, inspect the MB socket and when you reassemble the components ensure this is securely in place.

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Just put CPU back in and the ATX and got a long continuous beep

EDIT: ALAS! Switched a stick of RAM and got to POST. Going to try this stick of RAM with New video card.

Edited by xkillmequickx, 08 November 2011 - 05:46 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
A step in the right direction at least, the 12V ATX socket connection may not have been good.
It is near midnight here in the UK so I am going off line (work at 7am) good luck with the testing and I will check back tomorrow, others may assist you meanwhile if you need post a reply in between now and then.

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Sigh..so after adding the video card everything was still getting to the bios fine. I thought my problems were solved and decided to add the other components and hook it up to my case. Now there is no light on the mobo at all. I am very frustrated to say the least.

xkillmequickx

xkillmequickx

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
New Update: I took everything out of the Mobo and put it on a cardboard box. I connected my peripherals and tried to start it. I got the Beep code error for video. I then moved the card to another slot and i can now start my computer normally. Could it have been the case? A bad PCI slot? A bad video card? I'm stumped.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,776 posts
I cannot be 100% certain but the GFX card slot may be the culprit, a dusty slot possibly!

I connected my peripherals and tried to start it. I got the Beep code error for video

That is why it is suggested that you only add one component at a time until you either A: Find a problem component and replace it B: Are able to connect all components successfully meaning that you could have a short in the case/MB or a bad power switch.