Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet phone line problems

• Please log in to reply

ambmy9

ambmy9

• PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
So for the last year I have been having problems with my INTERNET...The providers been really good about replacing everything I am to the point of giving up.

The problem is that that I get my Internet through a phone line..I first had thought it was the lines in the house, but they ran a new line separate from the ones in the house to my room. They also replaced the line from the pole out side and put a new box on the house.They also checked the box at the end of my street and everything is clear.

They also replaced my modem several times and I have tried a couple different phone lines...I just recently ordered a thicker one thats suppose to protect against static getting in the line from out side sources in the house...should be here next week. They have also replaced the filter on my line in the house several times as well.

I guess my question is I have lots of carpet in the house and the phone jack sits on the floor, since they ran the line in the house not in the wall and the phone line is about 25 feet and is on the floor to so I can put it in my hall for my wireless to work better in the living room...could it all be static getting in my lines from being on the floor?

As of now when they come and mess with it, it usually works for a while than starts back up again. I use the Internet a lot of netflix and gaming and this is really getting depressing.

I have dsl 12 mb speed which when its running good I usually get almost the whole 12 which is awesome....when they test the line with their little machine thing they bring they say I am actually getting 13 in the house.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi ambmy9
What is the actual problem you are having? No connection, losing connection etc, also what type of computer is it laptop or desktop, custom built or brand name such as Dell, HP, Acer, if so please provide the make and model name or series (not serial) number for research purposes.

ambmy9

ambmy9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
It just drops connection comes back on goes off comes back over and over again not all the time, but some times its a all day thing....

I know its not my laptop because I have at least two computers and my ipod and phone connected all the time wireless..and they all drop at the same time when the modem losses connection.

Since everything else has been checked and replaced and my phone jacks on the floor and the phone cable is too thats why I am thinking static from the carpet...I live in Arizona and its usually very dry and I know that makes the carpet very staticy.

I decided to take the phone jack and place it on top of a plastic fan thing I have for my computer so its not touching the floor I am gonna keep a eye on it and see if it helps..I am gonna laugh it thats all it takes to fix it lol

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi ambmy9, any improvement.