Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Open Service *&(^*((* 1060 at start up

• Please log in to reply

zep516

zep516

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 8,093 posts
Hi bolt63,
You can also call HP they may send you recovery disks. Don't be without a disk that you can boot from.
A few programs I like to use are listed below.

Download WinPatrol free HERE
WinPatrol support HERE
It may take some time to get use to WinPatrol I also supplied the support page above with lots of information.

TFC-Tempory file cleaner
TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService,
NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).
Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Download TFC from HERE Save the file to your desktop, it runs from the desktop no install needed.
Double-click TFC.exe to run it.
(Instructions for use)
Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator
TFC will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin
Click the Start button to begin the cleaning process.
Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two.
Please let TFC run uninterrupted until it is finished.
Once TFC is finished it should restart your computer. If it does not, please manually restart the computer yourself to ensure a complete cleaning.

Ccleaner as you already have will take care of cookies, url history etc. Again refrain from the registery cleaner associated with it. Never use a registry cleaner. They are unnecessary and can cause more trouble then then they claim to fix.
Don't forget to defrag once in a while windows 7 is set to do it automatically, I still use Defraggler program every so often,

Defraggler to defrag your entire hard drive, or individual files - unique in the industry. This compact and portable Windows application supports NTFS and FAT32 file systems.
Get Defraggler HERE

Another nice program I ran into just recently is WhatInStartup
This utility displays the list of all applications that are loaded automatically when Windows starts up. For each application, the following information is displayed:
  • Startup Type (Registry/Startup Folder),
  • Command-Line String,
  • Product Name,
  • File Version,
  • Company Name,
  • Location in the Registry or file system, and more.
  • It allows you to easily disable or delete unwanted programs that run in your Windows startup. You can use it on your currently running instance of Windows, as well as you can use it on external instance of Windows in another drive.
  • WhatInStartup also supports a special "Permanent Disabling" feature - If a program that you previously disabled added itself again to the startup list of Windows, WhatInStartup will automatically detect the change and disable it again.
Get WhatInStartup from HERE

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free utilizes Malwarebytes powerful technology to detect and remove all traces of malware including worms, trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware and more.
Get Malwarebytes free here HERE
NOTE Malwarebytes does not run in real time it's an on demand scanner so you run it when you want, once a week or if you think a problem is evident.

I run Ccleaner, TFC, Malwarebytes once a week depending on amount of surfing on the internet.

Keep control of your Start up programs, run the cleaners, keep the Anti Virus updated, keep 20% free space on the hard drive always.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your new computer! Any questions let us know. I have a 1963 Thunderbolt unfortunately it's a model :)

Edited by zep516, 09 November 2011 - 08:17 PM.

Advertisements